Kernel source code with possibility update it

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
henripa
First post

Kernel source code with possibility update it

Post by henripa »

Hi
I have been trying to find suitable kernel modules from qpkg packages so I could do some advanced features with QNAP NAS (currently T-453d at home).

For example - I'd like to use USB DVB TV/radio receiver but it requires quite many kernel modules which are missing from QNAP NAS's kernel. With these I could do "network radio/TV streamer" for local office when we would like to watch/listen soccer matches with computers (tvheadend would be my solution).
I am also willing to use QNAP NAS as a local router/gateway with firewall but it won't work with missing kernel features (netfilter, NAT etc).
Also people could build filesystems they would like to use. Like btrfs, zfs etc. Non-kernel related software packages can be built quite easily with Linux and https://github.com/qnap-dev/QDK -tools or using ready made containers.

Of course I could do all these with virtual machines on QNAP NAS but it's challenging. Like updating QNAP firmware while you have shut down your firewall VM.
Another option would be to replace QNAP NAS operating system with your own Linux distribution (Proxmox, OpenMediaVault, FreeNAS...) where we would have proper kernel's. And these would have proper configurations, not hidden all around non-standard Linux filesystem hierarchy.

Thank you for other ways good products.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Kernel source code with possibility update it

Post by dolbyman »

No QNAP here .. and failed to read the sticky

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=161411

thread > closed

Return to “Features Wanted”