HD Station security hole: do not bind whole volumes

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
sovadufafo
New here

HD Station security hole: do not bind whole volumes

Post by sovadufafo »

Any user logged into HD Station can inspect and see files of any another user's home folder. For example, by using KODI player it is quiet possible to navigate into any user's home folder and play any multimedia content from there. This is all due to slightly ugly desicion to bind all volumes into HD Station qpkg chroot container. This binding breaks the whole purpose of chrooting and may cause another security issues like stealing user's data by a remote exploiter of HD Station appllications bugs. Please, do not bind whole volumes into HD Station. It is better to use SMB, DLNA or bind media folders selectively.
pwilson
Guru

Re: HD Station security hole: do not bind whole volumes

Post by pwilson »

sovadufafo wrote:Any user logged into HD Station can inspect and see files of any another user's home folder. For example, by using KODI player it is quiet possible to navigate into any user's home folder and play any multimedia content from there. This is all due to slightly ugly desicion to bind all volumes into HD Station qpkg chroot container. This binding breaks the whole purpose of chrooting and may cause another security issues like stealing user's data by a remote exploiter of HD Station appllications bugs. Please, do not bind whole volumes into HD Station. It is better to use SMB, DLNA or bind media folders selectively.
This is only true if you login to HybridDesk Station as "admin".

I agree with you about the Volumes though. KODI will happily access SMB shares, so it doesn't need this at all.

If you access HD_Station as "admin", you can also use the File Manager in KODI to look at /etc/config/shadow to harvest users "encrpyted" passwords, to make it trivial to crack the passwords for any user, including "admin".

Stop running running HybridDesk Station as "admin" to prevent this security hole.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
sovadufafo
New here

Post by sovadufafo »

pwilson wrote:This is only true if you login to HybridDesk Station as "admin".
No no no. I've just verified once again. There is no need to login as admin. I've logged into HD Station with a usual non-admin account and still able to navigate (using KODI) into even admin's home folder.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

sovadufafo wrote:
pwilson wrote:This is only true if you login to HybridDesk Station as "admin".
No no no. I've just verified once again. There is no need to login as admin. I've logged into HD Station with a usual non-admin account and still able to navigate (using KODI) into even admin's home folder.
Not good. Please submit a ticket for this issue.
They won't fix it if no one complains.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
spamkutu
Know my way around

Post by spamkutu »

Not tested but if so this is great hole must be fix immediately and hd station still have some bug in firmware 4.1.4 i have to always reinstall its not stay as installed its gone a few time passed broken status or uninstaled state so i have to reinstale borring..
oliesjeik
Starting out

Post by oliesjeik »

Any news on this issue? I noticed the same thing:

1. Created a mediauser which only has access to the multimedia folder and its 'own' home folder
2. Restricted access to admin and other users home folders

3. Start up HD center and login with this mediauser
4. Start up KODI
5. I'm able to access everybody's home folder?!
Vancouver, B.C., Canada & Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

QNAP TS-251+ (2x Western Digital WD40EFRX WD Reds (RAID1) - - QNAP 112 (1x Western Digital WD20EZRX WD green) - - QNAP TS-410
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

oliesjeik wrote:Any news on this issue? I noticed the same thing:

1. Created a mediauser which only has access to the multimedia folder and its 'own' home folder
2. Restricted access to admin and other users home folders

3. Start up HD center and login with this mediauser
4. Start up KODI
5. I'm able to access everybody's home folder?!
Heb je al een ticket naar qnap gestuurd?

Did you submit a ticket to qnap?
oliesjeik
Starting out

Post by oliesjeik »

CylonCenturion wrote:

Ja dat heb ik gedaan / Yes I did.

It's a shame this issue is still present. It was already reported back in June and is still present.. :(
Vancouver, B.C., Canada & Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

QNAP TS-251+ (2x Western Digital WD40EFRX WD Reds (RAID1) - - QNAP 112 (1x Western Digital WD20EZRX WD green) - - QNAP TS-410
CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

oliesjeik wrote:
CylonCenturion wrote:

Ja dat heb ik gedaan / Yes I did.

It's a shame this issue is still present. It was already reported back in June and is still present.. :(
Maybe there are not enough people that complaining about it.

The more people complain, the quicker is got solved.
brandon.arnold
Starting out

Post by brandon.arnold »

One year later, I see this problem still exists. I have created a ticket, but it is unfortunate that the only way to demonstrably reproduce it is through myKodi. I don't see any other apps that allow you to browse the root hard drive, and using the myKodi example QNAP support will probably reject it outright as unsupported and they are not liable, yadda yadda yadda.

HD Station should be separate from its login screen and should spin up with the privileges of the user who is logged in, not some process root or admin or anything of the sort.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

don't think QNAP will do anything, because they no longer officially support KODi
brandon.arnold
Starting out

Post by brandon.arnold »

dolbyman wrote:don't think QNAP will do anything, because they no longer officially support KODi
I don't either. Whether or not that is the right policy, however, is another question.
mazzonna
New here

Post by mazzonna »

The fact that Kodi can do this (supported by QNap or not), indicates that there is a security vulnerability inherent in QNAPs operating system and utilities. I'm new to QNAP, but since this thread was opened nearly two years ago and there are still reports of this issue makes me question a NAS vendors commitment to security. Who's to say that other apps can't be introduced to the system to carry out rogue activities by bypassing security.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mazzonna wrote:The fact that Kodi can do this (supported by QNap or not), indicates that there is a security vulnerability inherent in QNAPs operating system and utilities.
It's not specific to Kodi - it's a HD Station or newer name Hybrid Station issue. Hybrid Station is accessibly in the first iteration from the local HDMI console.
mazzonna wrote:Who's to say that other apps can't be introduced to the system to carry out rogue activities by bypassing security.
the majority of HD Station installations imply physical access to the NAS - so there it goes, security is equal if not worse then when looking at in simple baseline security. The issue is limited to apps running in the HD Station rooted file system.
mazzonna
New here

Post by mazzonna »

Hi schumaku.....thanks....that helps to enlighten me somewhat. Does this mean that Hybrid Station and it's associated apps run with 'root' level access, regardless of the user id that has logged in?

Return to “Features Wanted”