Console terminal within web management interface

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
dorko20
Starting out

Console terminal within web management interface

Post by dorko20 »

Hello,
there are some situations I am not able to connect to my NAS remotely via SSH and I would like to have an app such as Terminal etc. which would give us the console session via web interface.
I know there is shellinabox, but it is not the right think I could use -> another port which has to be open.

To have an app to build in the web interface (such a file manager etc.) could be really helpfull.

Thanks,
Michal.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Console terminal within web management interface

Post by pwilson »

dorko20 wrote:Hello,
there are some situations I am not able to connect to my NAS remotely via SSH and I would like to have an app such as Terminal etc. which would give us the console session via web interface.
I know there is shellinabox, but it is not the right think I could use -> another port which has to be open.

To have an app to build in the web interface (such a file manager etc.) could be really helpfull.
Implement OpenVPN on your NAS. This would permit you to access your NAS remotely without needing port forwarding for SSH etc. You simply port forward 1194/UDP from your Router to your NAS (for OpenVPN to use), and no further Port-Forwarding is required.

If your undisclosed Client device, and your NAS both have Internet connectivity, I can't think of even a single situation that wouldn't allow SSH access to your NAS. Heck if you don't have Internet on your PC, you can always SSH in via a cellphone.

if your undisclosed Client device is an OS X or Linux box, it already has an SSH client for you to play with. I've never seen the need for Shell-in-a-Box myself, as my Linux Laptop already has a fully functional SSH client on it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
dorko20
Starting out

Post by dorko20 »

Hi Patrick,
thank you for your answer, I agree OpenVPN could be the solution, but I wanted to avoid to install any client application. I know that many OSs are supported, but I just love the simple idea to log into the web interface via https and all stuff I can do right there and only "necessary" app is your browser.
About the SSH port open towards the internet - well I know it is not a big problem if your password is not admin etc. and Qnap has implemented autoblock ip address after unsuccessful attempts as well, but there are many robot scanners (and also people) on the internet which are looking for open well known ports and trying to guess your password. I had to block few IP addresses permanently because of this. Most of the addresses were from Russia and China.

Anyway, I will play with OpenVPN or a while and hope I will love it as much as the simple https web interface :)
voodoomatze
Starting out

Post by voodoomatze »

Hi, I, too, have the need for such an app in the web interface.

The szenario is quite simple, when using a corporate PC within a corporate network it is (as in my case) usually not possible to install or use VPN.

I guess this forum is not the right place to request such an app. Does anyone know how to address this with QNAP?
TS-453mini (4 x 3TB RAID 5); Firmware version: 4.3.6.0993 Build 20190704
TS-239 Pro (2 x 3TB RAID 1); Firmware-Version: 4.2.6 Build 20171026
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

voodoomatze wrote:Hi, I, too, have the need for such an app in the web interface.
Shellinabox (check the App Center) can be the partial answer - however, it requires a Web browser https access to the port 4200 (and the related port forwarding on your NAT router of course).
voodoomatze wrote:The szenario is quite simple, when using a corporate PC within a corporate network it is (as in my case) usually not possible to install or use VPN.
Wearing my corporate IT security hut I would ask what you have to work on your home NAS by ssh, or at all :ashamed:
voodoomatze
Starting out

Post by voodoomatze »

Shellinabox (check the App Center) can be the partial answer - however, it requires a Web browser https access to the port 4200
..and that's exactly the downside of Shellinabox. The ideal solution should run within the web interface without requiring its own dedicated port.
Wearing my corporate IT security hut I would ask what you have to work on your home NAS by ssh, or at all
Obviously, this is a purely hypothetical discussion. :shock:
TS-453mini (4 x 3TB RAID 5); Firmware version: 4.3.6.0993 Build 20190704
TS-239 Pro (2 x 3TB RAID 1); Firmware-Version: 4.2.6 Build 20171026
srsylva
Starting out

Post by srsylva »

pwilson wrote:
dorko20 wrote:Hello,

Implement OpenVPN on your NAS. This would permit you to access your NAS remotely without needing port forwarding for SSH etc. You simply port forward 1194/UDP from your Router to your NAS (for OpenVPN to use), and no further Port-Forwarding is required.

If your undisclosed Client device, and your NAS both have Internet connectivity, I can't think of even a single situation that wouldn't allow SSH access to your NAS. Heck if you don't have Internet on your PC, you can always SSH in via a cellphone.

if your undisclosed Client device is an OS X or Linux box, it already has an SSH client for you to play with. I've never seen the need for Shell-in-a-Box myself, as my Linux Laptop already has a fully functional SSH client on it.

Hi Patrick, I was trying to do exactly the same (configure and use a VPN service in my QNAP in order to be able to access most lan based applications); However I do not have access to the router's configuration to configure the port forwarding. Do you think that can I handle this using another solution?

Thanks
srsylva
Starting out

Post by srsylva »

Thank you Philippe and sorry for the inconvenience.
Jeff898
First post

Post by Jeff898 »

Has a resolution been found for this?
Last edited by Jeff898 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

use an SSH client .. or install a container/VM with one

back when this thread was opened in 2015 , there was no VM or container stuff on QNAP yet

Return to “Features Wanted”