SSH/SFTP not to be restricted to Admin Only

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
westofsa
New here

SSH/SFTP not to be restricted to Admin Only

Post by westofsa »

In the current version of QNAP 4.2.0 build 20160130, SSH / SFTP can only be used by the "admin" to login remotely, however SFTP is becoming a very popular method for secure remote access to FTP servers for File Management (more so I find than FTP with SSL)

Need to be able to separate SSH / SFTP from for instance Telnet or allow Admins to define whether SFTP is permitted for end users so that SFTP can be used to upload files as well.
Don
Guru

Re: SSH/SFTP not to be restricted to Admin Only

Post by Don »

You need to open a ticket with QNAP to request enhancements.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
dgwieda
New here

Post by dgwieda »

PLUS 1.

I agree... this would be a very handy solution to provide a secure FTP transfer for standard users
(ie. the Teenagers data. I don't want their FTP data out in the open, but I also don't want them to be admins).

Not being a programmer, my simple (and I must admit possibly wrong) recommendation would be a check box option in the "User Management" section under "Applications Privileges" option. Currently FTP Service is already there, I'd recommend an option/checkbox to allow SFTP Service to the users listed there.

Thanks,

-DGW.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

dgwieda wrote:PLUS 1.

I agree... this would be a very handy solution to provide a secure FTP transfer for standard users
(ie. the Teenagers data. I don't want their FTP data out in the open, but I also don't want them to be admins).

Not being a programmer, my simple (and I must admit possibly wrong) recommendation would be a check box option in the "User Management" section under "Applications Privileges" option. Currently FTP Service is already there, I'd recommend an option/checkbox to allow SFTP Service to the users listed there.

Thanks,

-DGW.
Saying +1 on a community forum accomplishes nothing. OPEN A TICKET WITH QNAP!!!!
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
solitone
Starting out

Post by solitone »

Is there any open ticket on this? What's QNAP's position?
At the moment the only option would be tweaking with /etc/ssh/sshd_config and startup scripts :evil:
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

solitone wrote:What's QNAP's position?
Always when talking to QNAP I hear that SSH access is for troubleshooting only.

QTS 4.3 has introduced the ability for configuring SSH/SFTP users in a list ... and the users need to be members of the administrators group. This might address the multi-user administration requirements only in my opinion.

This is no help at all when it comes to sftp usage - we need sftp access for administrators _and_ non-administrators - selectable a full root access, vs a rooted access to the user permitted shared folders only. And then, once the sftp is rooted to the shared folders only, I can already hear the whining of those using sftp to browse the NAS QTS oprating system and application space...
solitone wrote:Is there any open ticket on this?
You can refer to MantisBT ID 703 when filing a ticket with https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
solitone
Starting out

Post by solitone »

schumaku wrote:
solitone wrote:Is there any open ticket on this?
You can refer to MantisBT ID 703 when filing a ticket with https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
I don't know Mantis Bug Tracker. Do QNAP use that system? Till now I've sent them tickets via their Help Desk application. Is that linked somehow to MantisBT? Ticket ID codes are pretty different.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

solitone wrote:I don't know Mantis Bug Tracker. Do QNAP use that system? Till now I've sent them tickets via their Help Desk application. Is that linked somehow to MantisBT? Ticket ID codes are pretty different.
You don't have to care about the platform - just mention MantisBT ID 703 when filing or updating a ticket on the helpdesk.
solitone
Starting out

Post by solitone »

Ok, thanks.

BTW, this is what they told me:
Unfortunately this feature is not supported at this moment of time.
I am going to create a feature request for you so that this can be implemented in the future.

The more feature requests we get the better.
evolve-to
New here

Post by evolve-to »

I'm on QTS 4.2.2, and it seems that QTS 4.3 will not help us with our problem. I'm really starting to regret my purchase (TS-251). Next time, I'll go with a homemade server on a linux distrib (seriously, 350$ NAS and not able to SFTP with a non-root user?!) :/

Just send a ticket too...

Return to “Features Wanted”