E-mail server??

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Atlantis95
New here

E-mail server??

Post by Atlantis95 »

Good day,

My name is Mike and I replaced my old NAS (the name is starting with an S) for a QNAP-453 Pro. I love it, however can anybody or it is possible to install a E-mail server?
- When yes, how?
- When not, why not? Waht is the background? I get the impression an e-mail server is not supported. And what is the alternative?
CylonCenturion

Re: E-mail server??

Post by CylonCenturion »

Atlantis95 wrote:Good day,

My name is Mike and I replaced my old NAS (the name is starting with an S) for a QNAP-453 Pro. I love it, however can anybody or it is possible to install a E-mail server?
- When yes, how?
- When not, why not? Waht is the background? I get the impression an e-mail server is not supported. And what is the alternative?
xdove is no longer supported, and does not work on my TS-253 8Gb Pro
Zarafa is an option, but i did not try it.
Atlantis95
New here

Post by Atlantis95 »

Thanks for the reply. I will look to it.

I see also a package XMail. Has anyone experiences with that one? What is the status of that? When I look to it, it looks like it has dependencies with Dove.
killer_kru
Starting out

Post by killer_kru »

I have been using XEAMS as my email server on a TS-453 Pro for about 1.5 years now and it works well as a personal/small business email system.
Install it from the App Center... it will auto-update to the latest version on it's own.

Most current version is: Version 4.9 build 5819, 04/11/2016.
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

I can confirm that XEAMS works quite well.
I recently installed it on our new TVS-863 and it works flawless till now.
kim.starck@gmail.com
First post

Post by kim.starck@gmail.com »

How do i setup IMAP in XEAMS?
tweexter
Starting out

Post by tweexter »

I replaced a Synology nas with a new qnap TVS-673 and was quite disappointed to see that qnap doesn't have a self-branded mail server package, like synology. I tried for hours to make Xeams work, but gave up. Hopefully qnap has this on their roadmap!
Main:
TS-h886
4x 16GB ECC
2x Ironwolf 125 1TB SSDs (OS)
6x Exos 8TB drives
QM2-4P-384 w/ 4x 1TB 970 Pro
Dual 10G SFP adapter
Backup:
TVS-673
6x Ironwolf 8TB drives
marshalleq
Easy as a breeze

Post by marshalleq »

I've long felt that a proper groupware server has been the golden missing feature of QNAP NAS's. They're not hard to integrate, easy to configure and highly suited to even low performance NAS boxes for small setups. I've recently just set one up on an external box, in a VM, which obviously those of us with VM capable NAS's could do. Unfortunately, my NAS doesn't run VM's, but it would be much simpler if it was just an APP in the QNAP store. The advantages of that would include easy database backups, administration and redundancy for starters.

I did quite a bit of research on a good Linux mail server and recently settled on http://www.iredmail.org for anyone that's interested. It's not perfect, but something like this should be a win for both QNAP and iredmail if integrated as there's obviously an advantage for the software provider to have more advertising out there with the possibility of more subscriptions.

Anyway, if QNAP does ever read this, hopefully it will be considered. They're pretty good at adding features I've noticed.

Marshalleq
TS669-L (3GB RAM) fw 4.3.2.0050 Build 20170104 with 6x4TB Seagate ST4000VN000-1H41SC43 2x2TB Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2x8TB ST8000VN0022-2EL112
QNAP UX-500P External 5 Bay USB3 Expansion Cabinet
Raspberry Pi 1,2 & 3
Mac Mini
Apple TV 3/4
Windows
Sabayon Linux
Ubuntu Linux
Android
Docker
Ryzen 1800x custom system

Web
https://www.tech-knowhow.com