TVS x82 / x82T mainboard defective fans replacement / recall

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Nightwolf
Know my way around

Re: TVS x82 / x82T mainboard defective fans replacement / recall

Post by Nightwolf »

cryptochrome wrote:Ok, got it. QNAP more or less confirmed the drive cage issue to me in my open ticket, so I'll be working with them on a fix.
May I ask you for requesting a confirmation by them? This would be worth a second ticket...
QNAP TVS-1282-i7-7700T-128G "S" (for "Silent" :wink:)
2X 2TB Samsung 860 PRO RAID1 for QTS
2x 4TB Ironwolf PRO SSD RAID1 for Virtualization
4x 22TB Ironwolf PRO for 2x RAID1 storage groups

Custom build: Noctua NH-L9x65 aircooler, BIOS-Mod for Series 9 and 128GB RAM, a bunch of 80/92mm Noctua fans and Corsair SF750 PSU using a modified connector
Former used a Corsiar H5 SF for the TVS-1282 Watercooling Mod

(also had a 7700K (working fine) and will now try the Series 9-Mod (i9-9900T) for more cores)
Guapo81
Know my way around

Post by Guapo81 »

Good to read that others are having some doubts about the fans mounted in the X82 series.
I received my TVS-682 like 3 months ago now. Immediatly I had some concerns about the rattling noise that came out of the unit.
After opening the casing in my belief the ticking and rattling came from the radial fan in the CPU block.

Thought by myself, that's annoying, but didn't want to start up RMA or warranty, so I decided to just order a spare one from the QNAP store.
After a few days or so I got an email from a lady at QNAP informing me about the fact the fan would have a fastest possible delivery time of 2 months, asked me if I wanted to cancel the order... Quite strange since the store showed 20 pcs. on stock...
Decided to just let the order go through. Received the new fan last week (after a nice delivery time of 2 months+...). Opened the case, unscrewed the old fan and installed the new one.
At power up, same nice rattling noise from the new fan out of the box....

Starting to understand this better now reading this thread, but I think it's safe to say that a real solution is not there yet :(
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Nightwolf wrote:
cryptochrome wrote:Ok, got it. QNAP more or less confirmed the drive cage issue to me in my open ticket, so I'll be working with them on a fix.
May I ask you for requesting a confirmation by them? This would be worth a second ticket...
Not sure if I am allowed to share details (they asked me not to share details about the new fan when they first mentioned it to me). What I can do though is keep you guys posted about the progress here in this thread. Right now they asked me to wait, since they don't seem to have something ready to share yet. So could take a while.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Ok, so I received a new set of drive trays from QNAP. They look exactly the same as the old ones, they feel the same, and needless to say, they didn't change a thing. Massive noise output still there.

Can you guys please listen to the sound of this video and let me know whether your 1282T sounds like this too?

https://goo.gl/photos/u6pVcsa4AxD9V7x28

Note that the sound you hear is very loud and audible through closed doors in the next rooms. This drives me nuts.

Thanks.
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

Can't comment on the 1282T but my 1282 isn't anywhere near as loud as that crypto
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

ok, thanks. that worries me.
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

however I do have the watercooling installed as well as noctua fans, I only tried the old blower for a week or so, and it sounded just as bad if I recall... didn't install the replacement blower yet though.
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

The sound you hear in the video is with the replacement blower and the replacement drive trays installed. I'll wait for an update to my ticket with QNAP.
Nightwolf
Know my way around

Post by Nightwolf »

Fan replacement arrived today (after >2 weeks batteling customs), will test it @next weekend - even using the new firmware for fan readings.

Little bit OT:
Crypto, seems to be kinda the same humming noise I've got - Your's seems to be louder, too (maybe it's only the video, too).
Anyway, my first two (metal) test samples didn't change that much I wanted them to; but maybe it prooved sth:
The vibrations in the tray aren't caused by poor plastic materials (maybe a little bit, but <10%) but by too much space between tray and cage and also bad contact to the whole enclosure.
I will check this a liitle bit more when i try the fan replacement next weekend.
If this is the crux of the matter, "simple" decoupling of the cage to the enclosure and a little bit of insulating compound for less space between tray and cage would solve the humming...
I'll keep you guys updated in the other thread :)

CYA Wolf
QNAP TVS-1282-i7-7700T-128G "S" (for "Silent" :wink:)
2X 2TB Samsung 860 PRO RAID1 for QTS
2x 4TB Ironwolf PRO SSD RAID1 for Virtualization
4x 22TB Ironwolf PRO for 2x RAID1 storage groups

Custom build: Noctua NH-L9x65 aircooler, BIOS-Mod for Series 9 and 128GB RAM, a bunch of 80/92mm Noctua fans and Corsair SF750 PSU using a modified connector
Former used a Corsiar H5 SF for the TVS-1282 Watercooling Mod

(also had a 7700K (working fine) and will now try the Series 9-Mod (i9-9900T) for more cores)
DosXpon
Starting out

Post by DosXpon »

So i guess qnap just made a new version fixing the issues? I hope these new devices don't have any new bugs.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

@Nightwolf: Thanks for your analasys and continued effort in solving this. As an FYI: QNAP have given up in my case. They replaced my unit, the new one has the exact same noise issues. Their last statement to me was: We don't know what to do, you are the only user reporting this issue, all we can offer is that you return the unit and you get your money back. Bummer.

@ElBerryKM13: What do you mean? Which new version? There is no revision / new version in the x82 series. Are you talking about an entirely new NAS?
DosXpon
Starting out

Post by DosXpon »

Did you see the name of the new nas? tvs-1282T3. Looks like same old nas but with thunderbolt3 and I guess better acoustics.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Since QNAP offered me to return the unit, I am going to ask them if they are willing to replace it with the new model.
zottegemolivier2
First post

Post by zottegemolivier2 »

let me start of by stating fort eh record that the costumer service of QNAP is THE WORST manufacturer costumer aftersales I HAVE EVER had the very unpleasant experience to deal with
unit: TVS-1282 intel I7 32GB ram 8X6TB RED wd HDD,4X850evo SSD's samsung 1TB and then finally ZX M.2 SSd 500GB .

order device mid september, get it a month later due to delivery issues (THEY JUST TOLD YESTERDAY THAT TO QUALIFY AS A "DOA" unit I HAVE TO NOTIFY THEM WITHIN 30 DAYS.....FROM LEAVING THEIR STOCK TO THE DEALERS AND RESELLERS!,NOT FROM DELIVERY OF THE ITEM TO THE FINAL CUSTOMER!!
APPARENTLY SO THAT MAKES SO SO SO MUCH SENSE QNAP!!!,as soon as the unit leaves your facilities the DOA timeline goes in so....if the reseller takes 2 weeks to deliver or more then what????).
BUT THEN AGAIN......IT SAYS ON THEIR WEBSITE THAT REFUNDS ARE BASED UPON YOUR DIRECT SHOP OR SELLER......SO THAT'S LIKE A SAD WAY TO DODGE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN PRODUCTS
I installed and with a holiday in between took me like 5 weeks to finally contact them as the sound of the unit was simply HORRIFIC and the heat on the SSD's resulted In (obligatory) shutdowns (and this is with everything installed and the unit running at way less than a grand total MAX MAX of 10 %CPU!!!)
so virtually an idle unit still overheating like crazy every day!
I have had to VIDEOTAPE! myself with a decibel meter on my iPhone not once but a total TWICE occasions , the first time they just sent me a new CPU fan (but the noise and the SSD's is coming from nowhere near the CPU fan , it's the SYS fans that go berserk!!
the second time which was like a month ago! I had to videotape myself a SECOND time....and all the while I told them form the beginning this unit was no good and it needed to be shipped back ASAP.
nobody cared to listen and they thought sending a new fan to be installed by myself would be the right quick fix on a 3500$ plus brand new unit!
They also completely denied there where problems or callbacks of these units, never answered my questions.

Now beginning of March they finally agreed to send me the papers to send the unit back.

I asked them 1000X for an exchange with PAYING upgrade to a T model which at least seams a small effort considering all these troubles and hours and hours of lost time .
It would be some (albeit the surplus in cost between the tas-1282 and te T model would be paid by myself, I proposed this every time again) nice gesture for 4 months of not being able to use
my unit on top of no follow up from the helpdesk and demands like sending a video to prove that I am not lying or scamming them.....and that I am not UNMOUNTING 20TB OF DATA ON ALL THE HHD'S SSD'S AND M.2 SSD'S, HAVING TO BACK IT ALL UP , HAVING TO BUY
AN EXTRA EXPANSION UNIT FOR MY TS-453 A (WHICH WORKS LIKE A CHARMA ND IS TOTAL SILENCE AND COOL TEMP COMPARED TO THE TVS-1282"THE NEW QNAP FLAGSHIP".....for the fun of it??

THESE ARE UNITS THAT HAVE KNOWN FLAWS FOR GOD SAKE, WHAT THE HELL IS QNAP THINKING, THAT COSTUMERS ARE ON THE PROWL TO ABUSE THEIR WARRANTEE SYSTEM????
IT'S DEBILITATING,no I am not deconstructing an entire setup with 20TB of data for the fun of it!!!!!or to have a thunderbolt device instead, it's infuriating
it's because the TVS-1282 has some serious problems and I can't work with it.

worst of all is I sent my first mail end of december 2016......and they've been SO helpful and generous and pro-active......and even with eh video's sent and the screenshots of the sys fans going WAY over their
normal rpm's .....they

STOP EVADING YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AS A MANUFACTURER QNAP !!!!!
AND STOP LYING TO YOUR COSTUMERS THAT THERE IS NO PROBLEMS WHEN CLEARLY THERE IS!

I'M SENDING IN MINE TOMORROW AND LET'S SEE WHAT THEY COME UP WITH BUT FOR A MANUFACTURER OF SEMI-PROFESSIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GEAR , THE AFTERSALES IS VERY BAD JOKE AND
I WOULD NEVER TRUST THESE GUYS TO DELIVER ANY HARDWARE FOR MY COMPANY'S BIGGER SERVERS...because WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU HAVE TO WAIT 2 MONTHS FOR REPAIR?.....BUY ANOTHER COMPANY SERVER????

I'm from Belgium, the land of the surreal but WOW.....this is really Kafka 2.0 OVER THRE IN TAI

my second QNAP-MY LAST QNAP

SO IS ANYONE OUT THERE HAVING , BESIDES CPU FAN ISSUES, ALSO SYS FAN ISSUES AND EXTREMELY LOAD NOISE LEVELS OF LIKE 60DB AND UP?AND SSD'S HEATING UP TO 64°C?
my TS-453 (also with WD RED 6TB) and its expansion unit the UX-800P (same WD RED 6TB) ensemble is like dead silent , its like comparing a launching 911 GT3 RS full throttle versus a Prius in battery mode

when you look at the FAQ about returns and repairs it's clear that QNAP has a very "Chinese " (I'm generalizing I know and apologies for that but I'm speaking from experience and speak about not 100% but a strong 80% (and with a remaining 20%
working very hard to BREAK with the negatively perceived "made in china" quality and service and turn the tide to the point of proudly surpassing even the "western" brand conscious market leaders but there is no denying
that the Chinese manufacturers and sellers have often an extremely negative philosophy about a product's guarantee and customer service concerning the AFTER sale service.....I for one have stopped buying direct from china for that exact reason.
their approach to WARRANTY and return POLICY concerning THEIR OWN PRODUCED PRODUCTS!!!It's hard to grasp that a manufacturer cares so little for the enjoyment of its products by the paying costumer and fails to see that a happy costumer is a returning one.
QNAP swiftly points at the "seller" or webshop" to take care of OF all THE problems related to their units , but those sellers have then in turn contact QNAP again which
is just , in my opinion, a way of trying to distance itself as much as possible from its costumers and a "SOLD IS SOLD" attitude/
that evasive mentality and Short term thinking is a shameful attitude when you're the company that ACTUALLY DESIGNS AND PRODUCES these objects you present proudly to buying costumers
and then you let others deal with the hassle when they are broken/dysfunctional upon arrival!

PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH ,besides, no company in history has ever been truly long term successful without listening to its' costumer base and their issues.

olivier mortagne
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

zottegemolivier2 wrote:SO IS ANYONE OUT THERE HAVING , BESIDES CPU FAN ISSUES, ALSO SYS FAN ISSUES AND EXTREMELY LOAD NOISE LEVELS OF LIKE 60DB AND UP?AND SSD'S HEATING UP TO 64°C?
There is no reason to shout around here. We are community members like you and me.

Ever thought about there might be a co-incidence that if CPU/system/SSD/HDD start to run hot that the system fans are speed up?

What SSD are you talking of - M.2 SSD, 2.5" slot installed SSD, or 3.5" slot installed SSD? For the M.2 SSD (on QNAP and other hardware) we have seen extremely high temperatures, requiring the need to glue on some kind of heat dissipation material or heat-sinks to avoid the M.2 modules temperatures going through the roof or leading to thermal security shutdowns.

When it comes to a product: We always buy form a reseller or a distributor, correct? This is the one and only contract there is. The reseller resp. the distributor you buy from who is in charge (in all markets except of North America) to handle DoA (yours is working, so not sure it's DoA), handling warranty, ... If you want to return your purchase, the EU regulations are clear. How the reseller is dealing with the distributor, and how the distributor is dealing with QNAP is not the end user's business. Nothing specific to QNAP.

Return to “Features Wanted”