TVS x82 / x82T mainboard defective fans replacement / recall

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Re: TVS x82 / x82T mainboard defective fans replacement / recall

Post by cryptochrome »

It's still ok to rant, because, you know, he is right in a lot of ways. This NAS is a disaster, and so is the firmware. Instead of creating 150 different NAS models maybe they should concentrate on just a hand full and deliver some quality for a change. They also need to really ramp up the quality of their support staff, because in most cases, they are utterly useless and have beyond zero clue what they are talking about.
gregoinc
Know my way around

Post by gregoinc »

In my experience I found my dealer top notch for support and after sales service. Even replacing my original unit from thier own stock.

QNAP whilst slow to respond, eventually got up to speed and solved my noisy fan issues.

Seems to me most likely the 1282 units are experiencing the most issues with noise, most likely because they have more fans and disks than my 882 unit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
peter453s
Starting out

Post by peter453s »

I'm new on the forum and just want to share my experience with a faulty Fan (TVS-682) .

My unit had a noisy fan reporting HW error when decreasing RPMs. End of January . I've contacted Qnap support via a ticket. Response was quick and professional (from hub in Netherlands). Inside one week from opening the ticket I had the new fan delivered to my home address.(seems to be the same model as the faulty one, but this one being more quite). I got a new fan firmware as well with easy to follow install instructions.

The CPU fan in now set to run 512 RPM - manual mode, and when initially loaded the unit after fan replacement to see highest temps with this setup (80+CPU load for cca 10 min) CPU temps were not going above 54-55C (PT model), and in everyday use they are below 50C . With this setting , having the NAS in the living room , noise is not disturbing. It is noticeable only when there is silence in the room, HDD rattling can be more noisy than the fan itself

I was reading lot the forum before buying the unit, being aware of potential fan and noise issues as con's , - and as well the capabilities/expansion possibilities of the unit (thanks for the great posts from active members in this and "brand new x82T " topics)- and I can say that I'm getting what I was expecting:
Yes, it is not fully silent -neither with the new fan , but do not feel that it is more noisy than my 1st NAS was (453s-Pro). And support was there to help me with short response and lead time when I've faced the initial problem -that was a positive experience.
TVS-682 I7-6700T 24GB (8GB original+ 2x8GB Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213)
R7 260 2GB
2.5" 2TB HDDs in SATA SSD slots in Raid1 as sytem disks, +2x3TB WD Red Raid 1+.10TB Ironwolf for iSCSI/LUNs and downloads + 1TB single drive for surveillance files from 4 cameras+ x300s 256GB +128GB M.2 SSD for VMs . Backed up via USB to external drives. Connected to 1Gb Internet
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

OK, so it looks like I have the same problem as cryptochrome.
QNAP_Daniel could you please check this ticket and advice what to do ? #ATY-370-67992

I have uploaded a videoof the noise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBAQDim ... e=youtu.be
It doesn't capture the actual noise level as it will be heard across several rooms throughout my appartement.

I really wish QNAP would consider their strategy regarding quality of the hardware and noise levels. Especially the HDD trays and the fans they are using. Why not spend a few cents more and team up with Noctua or the likes ?
TVS-671 QTS 4.2 beta (2015/07/16)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

olluz wrote: It doesn't capture the actual noise level as it will be heard across several rooms throughout my appartement.
you could try using this. just need an android smartphone and this app

[youtube=]yHNZk5VCbiU[/youtube]

zottegemolivier2 wrote: my unit on top of no follow up from the helpdesk and demands like sending a video to prove that I am not lying or scamming them.....and that I am not UNMOUNTING 20TB OF DATA ON ALL THE HHD'S SSD'S AND M.2 SSD'S, HAVING TO BACK IT ALL UP , HAVING TO BUY
AN EXTRA EXPANSION UNIT FOR MY TS-453 A (WHICH WORKS LIKE A CHARMA ND IS TOTAL SILENCE AND COOL TEMP COMPARED TO THE TVS-1282"THE NEW QNAP FLAGSHIP".....for the fun of it??
I wondered at first but then i saw stuff like this
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... 700_cpu_i/

so no wonder their a bit cautious about returns :shock:

maybe qnap experienced something similar in the past.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

thanks, I will give it a try later tonight.

What I was trying to say is: I am not sure if a smartphone can actually record or measure the real noise level I am experiencing as the noise and vibration are transported via the floor and walls so that I can hear the NAS when I am lying in my bedroom and the NAS is 3 rooms away.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

olluz wrote:thanks, I will give it a try later tonight.

What I was trying to say is: I am not sure if a smartphone can actually record or measure the real noise level I am experiencing as the noise and vibration are transported via the floor and walls so that I can hear the NAS when I am lying in my bedroom and the NAS is 3 rooms away.
does this help :) i'm no acoustic expert though.
[youtube=]ZUoeDlYOAIQ[/youtube]
https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blo ... ound-apps/

for me i run a few tests. 1 close to the QNAP unit (though other sounds like hard drives in close proximity, in addition to fan will add up, so the sound recording is mostly from the qnap overall, and not just the fun). another would be my usual position in relation to the NAS (which is what will be affecting me the most in a real world setting). now i got 2 figures to work with :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

thanks again, that sound like a good idea. Will give it a try later tonight.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Don't get your hopes up, olluz. QNAP never fixed my problem. I was given a replacement unit that in the beginning was slightly less noisy, but developed the same kind of loud noise pattern over time again as the old unit. When confronted, QNAP said there is nothing they can do and I either have to live with it ((f)thank you very much) or return the NAS. Which was no option, because of course the unit was already in production after having spent months (!) with their support before.

My company will no longer purchase QNAP as a result. They can keep their trash.
gregoinc
Know my way around

Re: RE: Re: TVS x82 / x82T mainboard defective fans replacement / recall

Post by gregoinc »

cryptochrome wrote:Don't get your hopes up, olluz. QNAP never fixed my problem. I was given a replacement unit that in the beginning was slightly less noisy, but developed the same kind of loud noise pattern over time again as the old unit. When confronted, QNAP said there is nothing they can do and I either have to live with it ((f)thank you very much) or return the NAS. Which was no option, because of course the unit was already in production after having spent months (!) with their support before.

My company will no longer purchase QNAP as a result. They can keep their trash.
Correction... expensive trash Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

I'm starting to understand your frustration.
There hasn't been any reaction from QNAP support regarding my ticket so far. Not from QNAP_Daniel nor Max Hobelsberger who is the owner of the ticket or anybody else from QNAP.

I remember when I had a problem with my Synology NAS...two days later they sent me a replacement unit, I moved everything and sent the faulty unit back. Seems like this will not be the case with QNAP!!

Anyway, I will start by switching my Youtube video from unlisted to public and adding appropriate tags to it. Maybe this will not speed up my support but it might warn other potential buyers before spending a fortune on a badly designed NAS!!
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

Could somebody confirm whether the two system fans in the back are really supposed to blow outwards like in my unit?

Aren't they supposed to blow cold air from the outside into the NAS instead of hot air towards the outside ?

Thanks in advance!
aspomwell
Know my way around

Post by aspomwell »

Generally fans in the back blow outward, drawing warm air out of the unit. Fans on the side or front would blow inward to draw in cool air.

You'll get faster support if you call their phone support. Waiting for an email response has proven to be a waste of time for me.
TVS-673 16GB 6x6TB WD Red WD60EFRX-68L0BN1 in RAID6
olluz
Starting out

Post by olluz »

Ok, will do. Thanks a lot for the info.
decimer
Getting the hang of things

from the topic poster - the reputation can only last that long

Post by decimer »

Well, I opened this topic in order to bring attention of QNAP QA and community to poorly manufactured parts (not by design) Simple?
It's been quiet a few communications with QNAP and in the end, regardless of middle management efforts, upper support fainted ignorance.

And nothing was done at all.

- Vendor and fan model unchanged, and product is substandard. True, it will work, but vibration will spread from hard mounts through entire chassis, and with a slightest load all your low noise figures become fictional.
That's what improperly molded blower blades in two defective internal fans do.
- One more thing, SSD3 and SSD4 functioning near thermal shutdown without enough ventilation mid upper case.
Design flaw known by QNAP, but was ignored due to the fact that this area is provisioned to disc drive in other models.

Its even worse, you have not corrected the issue for the new model QNAP TVS-x82T3.

new QNAP TVS-x82T3 will have:

- High noise, high vibration issues (defective part, for cost efficiency?)
- Temperature near thermal shutdown for SSD3 and SSD4 with resulting errors and premature failure.

"Upgrades" of substandard construction and manufacturing, SSDs failure was addition cost of using brand name QNAP. My total investment in hardware was lower 5 digit number.
This was the last time I've done that. So will be my advice as I frequently asked for.

Ce decimer

Return to “Features Wanted”