TVS x82 / x82T mainboard defective fans replacement / recall

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Nightwolf
Know my way around

Re: TVS x82 / x82T mainboard defective fans replacement / recall

Post by Nightwolf »

peelos, I think the trays have to be partially made of metal to dampen the vibrations.
Next week I'll get the ordered early prototype I ordered at a metalworking company in hannover. My hope is that even this prototype will result in a (nearly) vibration-free environment...
QNAP TVS-1282-i7-7700T-128G "S" (for "Silent" :wink:)
2X 2TB Samsung 860 PRO RAID1 for QTS
2x 4TB Ironwolf PRO SSD RAID1 for Virtualization
4x 22TB Ironwolf PRO for 2x RAID1 storage groups

Custom build: Noctua NH-L9x65 aircooler, BIOS-Mod for Series 9 and 128GB RAM, a bunch of 80/92mm Noctua fans and Corsair SF750 PSU using a modified connector
Former used a Corsiar H5 SF for the TVS-1282 Watercooling Mod

(also had a 7700K (working fine) and will now try the Series 9-Mod (i9-9900T) for more cores)
peelos
Been there, done that

Post by peelos »

wolf, I would be a client for these if it works.. and also of course for one of your custom made SF600 adapter cables.. :D
NAS: TVS-1282-i7-7700-40G / 4 x 500GB SSD 2.5" RAID 10 / 2 x 500GB M.2 SSD / 8 x 12TB WD Whites 3.5" RAID 6 / Noctua L9x65 / 3 x 80mm PWM Noctua fans / Corsair 600W PSU / Asus Turbo GTX 1060 6GB GPU
Software: Plex Media Server / Transmission / Sonarr / Radarr / Bazarr / Jackett / Tautulli / Home Assistant / Resilio Sync / Python / NetData / SortMyQPKGs
pfSense Firewall / OpenVPN Server: QOTOM Fanless Mini PC / Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 128GB SSD / 4 Gigabit NICs / AES-NI
Wireless Routers: 2 x Netgear AC1900 R7000 Nighthawk / 1 x Netgear AC3200 R8000 Nighthawk / FreshTomato Firmware
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

count me me in, Wolf.
Nightwolf
Know my way around

Post by Nightwolf »

Plz stay calm ;) I'll post in the other thread when I've received the replacement.

And I'll post here when I've checked the replacement fan... :)

Custom build: Noctua NH-L9x65 aircooler, BIOS-Mod for Series 9 and 128GB RAM, a bunch of 80/92mm Noctua fans and Corsair SF750 PSU using a modified connector

(also had a 7700K (working fine) and will now try the Series 9-Mod (i9-9900T) for more cores)
astudler
New here

Post by astudler »

Hi All,

my replacement fan unit is on its way with DHL and should arrive on Friday. So far I have replaced my three 80mm case fans with the Noctua ones which are awesome. For now, I wait to replace the CPU Fan Canister with the Corsair H5 SF to see first if the replacement unit really solves the problem.

For everyone, If you have an issue with CPU Fan Noise, open a ticket with QNAP and refer to this thread. Thats what I did, and in my case I got very fast response from Daniel! In fact, there is not a week past, since I opened my ticket and the replacement unit is already on its way with no further discussions!

Regarding replacing all CPU Fans of the shipped units, I personally don't see that necessary. Some have their unit in a cellar or IT room, so the noise is no issue for them and the system does what it is supposed to do.

Sincerely,

Anatol
astudler
New here

Post by astudler »

I received the replacement unit today. It looks exactly the same as the original unit including the exact same FAN Brand and Type. The only difference I saw is probably the manufacturing number that differed.

The OLD has: 151228KC

The NEW has: 160923KR

Here are two pics of the units in comparison.
IMG_2104.jpeg
IMG_2103.jpeg
With the new canister, we where asked to update the controller firmware which was necessary as the new fans where not detected properly (fan fail).

I also made some sound recordings with my Zoom H6 to compare before and after with heavy gains/sensitivity to see the difference.

OLD with Case open:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143 ... 20open.MP3

New with Case open:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143 ... 20open.MP3

So is it better? YES!, but the fan of the 10GbE Adapter is the one that drives me crazy now. I am also not sure if the Corsair H5 SF wouldn't be much quieter as well. Has anyone compared the Corsair to the new FAN Module? Also, who has an idea to get rid of this 10GbE Fan?

BTW, Here is a picture of my new Noctua Case Fans I have put in:
IMG_2106.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by astudler on Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
astudler
New here

Post by astudler »

I think the manufacturing Numbers are Dates:

OLD: 2015 Dezember 28th (151228KC)

New: 2016 September 23rd (160923KR)
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Big question: Did the old fan actually contribute to case vibrations (number 1 noise source) and does the new fan improve on that in a significant way?

I received my replacement parts too today but I won't have access to my NAS before Sunday.
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

In your sound recording, the OLD actually sounds better (no low frequency bass humming) than the new. Unless you accidently mixed up the recordings?
gregoinc
Know my way around

Post by gregoinc »

Installed the new fan and updated firmware. Much quieter. CPU appears to be running slightly hotter, which I suspect is due to the fan running at lower RPM. Will monitor and see how it goes. May invest in a K618 cooler just to be sure ;)
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

I have installed the new fan and I have to say - unfortunately - I am very disappointed. Because the new fan changes almost nothing. Yes, the fan noise as such is a little lower, but the massive vibration noise is still there. This low pitched, low frequency humming, which travels very far, hasn't changed a bit.
astudler
New here

Post by astudler »

cryptochrome, when you check my recording and play it loud you can hear a clear rattling sound with the old fan which has disappeared completely.

My analysis is following.

Bass Humming:
The bass humming I have is from the disks. Interestingly, when I touch the disks in the Front, Slot 2 and 3 are vibrating. I don't know why exactly these two slots. Slot 1-4 have 7.2k Toshiba Drives, Solt 5-8 have 5.4k WD RED.

High Frequent Fan Noise
Comes from the 10GbE Fan which is in my case the most annoying noise. Has anyone tried to passively cool this card?
cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

astudler, thanks. Yes, the humming is definitely vibration in the drive cages. And you are right, they are the strongest in the first two slots and the last two slots (all my drives are the same WD REDs). I am helping myself now by stuffing thick folded paper between the slots, it dampens it a little, but what the hell... I mean seriously, this should never have been released, not for that kind of money anyways.
Nightwolf
Know my way around

Post by Nightwolf »

astudler wrote:cryptochrome, when you check my recording and play it loud you can hear a clear rattling sound with the old fan which has disappeared completely.

My analysis is following.

Bass Humming:
The bass humming I have is from the disks. Interestingly, when I touch the disks in the Front, Slot 2 and 3 are vibrating. I don't know why exactly these two slots. Slot 1-4 have 7.2k Toshiba Drives, Solt 5-8 have 5.4k WD RED.

High Frequent Fan Noise
Comes from the 10GbE Fan which is in my case the most annoying noise. Has anyone tried to passively cool this card?
astudler:
The new gen Intel X540 is completely passive cooled, which would use a second radial fan for cooling using the normal pci-e slots. So the answer is "yes", there are passive heatsinks available IF you use a second radial blower (or a noctua 60mm for cooling both of pci-e cards).

cryptochrome:
Sorry to say, but it is like astudler stated before: the bass humming is vibration noise by the hdd's cage which is soaring up by itself. So the more HDD's are in use, the more humming is generated.
But this is a completely different problem as described in this topic: the tickling/scraping noise and (hopeful) the fals readings of the fans speed should be gone using the new gen of the radial blowers.
BTW: my replacement package seems to be confiscated by customs because of no daclaration outside the package... :-0 need to update the internal ticket as well as posting here...

cryptochrome
Been there, done that

Post by cryptochrome »

Ok, got it. QNAP more or less confirmed the drive cage issue to me in my open ticket, so I'll be working with them on a fix.

Return to “Features Wanted”