Two-way photo sync from mobile phone

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
oysteigi
New here

Two-way photo sync from mobile phone

Post by oysteigi »

I'd like QNAP to provide a similar service as Google Photos, just with a "private cloud" twist.

The most important feature, in my opinion, is to be able to browse and view photos on the mobile app, and synchronise bidirectionally with the QNAP server. Here's a typical scenario.

1. Take 5 photos with mobile phone
2. Photos are automatically uploaded to QNAP server
3. Browse photos on mobile phone. Delete 2.
4. Deleted photos are also deleted on QNAP server
5. Organise photos in albums/folders - also synchronised
schumaku
Guru

Re: Two-way photo sync from mobile phone

Post by schumaku »

oysteigi wrote:I'd like QNAP to provide a similar service as Google Photos, just with a "private cloud" twist.
This exists for a long time: Qphoto - Photo Station.
oysteigi wrote: The most important feature, in my opinion, is to be able to browse and view photos on the mobile app,
Qphoto hat it all.
oysteigi wrote:... and synchronise bidirectionally with the QNAP server.
Google Photos is a very good App ... however, there is no bidirectional sync for good reasons, too.
oysteigi wrote:1. Take 5 photos with mobile phone
2. Photos are automatically uploaded to QNAP server
Qphoto can handle this.
oysteigi wrote:3. Browse photos on mobile phone. Delete 2.
4. Deleted photos are also deleted on QNAP server
This would require multiple views in Qphoto, similar to Google Photos. In the Google App, you select the "Device Folders" view - when deleting photos on the device, it will ask you if it should delete the photo in the cloud, too. When deleting in the "normal" view, the pics will be gone from both the cloud and the local folder.

Why is a deletion-sync not workable? Simple: We have much less storage capacity on the mobile device. At some point, a clean-up on the device must be done - being by manual removal, being by some App-based clean-up (as it exists in Google Photos). This would certainly lead to unexpected data loss for many.
oysteigi wrote:5. Organise photos in albums/folders - also synchronised
Qphoto does allow handling albums and allows to keep folders as they ist on the mobile device in the shared folder/subfolder configured for upload. Foldr folder/file level actions, use Qfile. Similar to the Google Photos, Photo Station/Qphoto Albums are always in the cloud. Not sure what you want to sync here. Many reasons why there are no off-line albums and off-line editing.
pvilaverde
First post

Post by pvilaverde »

What i miss besides what has been mention is an option to only sync when using wifi and charging. Like google photos
Jonas85
New here

Post by Jonas85 »

pvilaverde wrote:What i miss besides what has been mention is an option to only sync when using wifi and charging. Like google photos

+1
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

The QFile app has the option to upload and auto-upload only over Wifi and may be a more suitable app for backing up photos.
OneCD - No doubt you will be locking this thread which I think is a good idea but I believe my necro-posting is worthy of inclusion as this thread will appear as a result of searches.

Return to “Features Wanted”