QTS 4.2 - Please add more options in the GUI for "Network UPS slave"

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
nicolaevladescu

QTS 4.2 - Please add more options in the GUI for "Network UPS slave"

Post by nicolaevladescu »

Hello.

I currently own a TS-231P running 4.2.4 Build 20170313 firmware version.

ISSUE: My UPS is too far for an USB cable to reach my NAS, so i have a beaglebone black that is next to the UPS and acts as a NUT server

TEMPORARY FIX 1: ssh to NAS and edit manually.

Code: Select all

vi /etc/config/ups/upsmon.conf
DOWNSIDES: Your QTS and the GUI would be out of sync with the configuration on disk.

TEMPORARY FIX 2: ssh to NAS and get the defaults and configure your NUT server as such.

cat /etc/config/ups/upsmon.conf
DOWNSIDES: For example i have different UPS names and credentials and i would not want to compromise security or simplicity

POSSIBLE FIX: I would like to be able to configure more options on the "External Device -> UPS" GUI tab when checking the radio button for "Network UPS slave".

Currently you can only input the IP address of another QNAP NAS (or NUT server with the same defaults as a QNAP NAS configured as a master) and the time in minutes until the NAS will shutdown if the UPS goes on battery.

The rest of the options are hardcoded in:

/etc/config/ups/upsmon.conf
Which is the only file that needs editing in this UPS mode.

At least the UPS remote name, username and password should be editable from the GUI for a minimal compatibility with custom or other nut servers.

The two temporary fixes i mentioned above are not always possible for the reasons i mentioned as downsides and many other that i did not come across or could not think of so far. But i am sure many users have encountered other problems of this nature with this particular feature.

P.S. I think the "SNMP connection" could also use some more options in the GUI.

Thank you.

Return to “Features Wanted”