How about a New File Manager?

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
acpiper
New here

How about a New File Manager?

Post by acpiper »

Love to see a dual column file manager - something explorer-like that lets me drag and drop from column a to b, delete on the fly, handle permissions, etc. Everything that a person needs to do with files all on one screen
Don
Guru

Re: How about a New File Manager?

Post by Don »

Try winscp.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Why an inflexible and aged dual column design if we can open two, three, ... File Station views - and everything is fully interoperable?
I_HATE_QCRAP
First post

Post by I_HATE_QCRAP »

What about a file manager that actually allows you to manage files and folders?

For example, be able to Create, Delete, Copy, Move, etc, files and folders in a SINGLE window. Without having to open the Control Panel to delete folders (but NOT the ACTUAL folders/files if you didn't know this trick - leaving a load of now hidden rubbish taking up disk space). Oh.....and you have to open Storage Manager to see how much disk space is used/available.

How about a new PROJECT MANAGER? I mean an actual person who is capable of overseeing the DESIGN of a system, such that there's a remote chance of it being usable.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

I_HATE_QCRAP wrote: be able to Create, Delete, Copy, Move, etc, files and folders in a SINGLE window
Except of creating a file everything is possible, even in a single File Station window. The destination folder can be in the left folder tree pane as well as in the right folder and file pane.
I_HATE_QCRAP wrote:Without having to open the Control Panel to delete folders ...
Assume you talk of shared folders ... We can dispute why the creation of Shared Folders was added to the File Station, but not the removal of a shared folder - yes, this is inconsistent.
I_HATE_QCRAP wrote:(but NOT the ACTUAL folders/files if you didn't know this trick - leaving a load of now hidden rubbish taking up disk space).
Removing a shared folder does query to delete the data:
Shared Folder Removal - Delete Data.PNG
Criticism where criticism belongs. And no, I'm not a PM.

The File Station scope is intentionally limited the existing Shared Folder scope - neither to a full volume access, nor to a NAS system access.

Regards,
-Kurt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

schumaku wrote:The File Station scope is intentionally limited the existing Shared Folder scope - neither to a full volume access, nor to a NAS system access.
Which I agree with and is a very good idea. Newbs can't inadvertently affect the OS. And those who really want-to can work out how-to. :geek:
I_HATE_QCRAP wrote:For example, be able to Create, Delete, Copy, Move, etc, files and folders in a SINGLE window. Without having to open the Control Panel to delete folders (but NOT the ACTUAL folders/files if you didn't know this trick - leaving a load of now hidden rubbish taking up disk space). Oh.....and you have to open Storage Manager to see how much disk space is used/available.
QNAP's File Station is good for basic operations and will allow you to perform simple NAS file management. When you outgrow it, use your own file manager instead.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

OneCD wrote:
schumaku wrote:The File Station scope is intentionally limited the existing Shared Folder scope - neither to a full volume access, nor to a NAS system access.
Which I agree with and is a very good idea. Newbs can't inadvertently affect the OS. And those who really want-to can work out how-to. :geek:
I_HATE_QCRAP wrote:For example, be able to Create, Delete, Copy, Move, etc, files and folders in a SINGLE window. Without having to open the Control Panel to delete folders (but NOT the ACTUAL folders/files if you didn't know this trick - leaving a load of now hidden rubbish taking up disk space). Oh.....and you have to open Storage Manager to see how much disk space is used/available.
QNAP's File Station is good for basic operations and will allow you to perform simple NAS file management. When you outgrow it, use your own file manager instead.
I've been lurking in this thread waiting to see where it would go, glad I did. I do a heck of a lot of file management 24/7, so far majority of that has been on the computer side, then move it to the NAS, having a proper File Manager on the NAS itself would be great as I have a lot of file work on that to do. QNAP's File Manager to me is an ok kind of start but it too needs a complete 360 degree make over for it to be useful. Now there is a folder on there I can't even delete.. research time for that - just found the info. and done
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Johnno72 wrote:QNAP's File Manager to me is an ok kind of start but it too needs a complete 360 degree make over for it to be useful
Such as? When turning 360 degrees you are on the same heading again, isn't it? At least on the northern hemisphere. :shock:
Johnno72 wrote:Now there is a folder on there I can't even delete
If you talk of the shared folder level, it's more than just a folder. Seriously, how many times you have to create resp. remove shared folders?
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

schumaku wrote:
Johnno72 wrote:QNAP's File Manager to me is an ok kind of start but it too needs a complete 360 degree make over for it to be useful
Such as? When turning 360 degrees you are on the same heading again, isn't it? At least on the northern hemisphere. :shock:
Yes, it means a complete new start, do over, start from the beginning.. lol
Johnno72 wrote:Now there is a folder on there I can't even delete
If you talk of the shared folder level, it's more than just a folder. Seriously, how many times you have to create resp. remove shared folders?[/quote]
1. I didn't create the folder personally, software change of data path created it and I know which one,
2. I never use Guest Accounts period and that is what threw me and when it stated garbage like Guest security details required, I was like WTF... that is why I said I doing bit of research on this, and I worked out the what's, how's, and why's under 5 minutes and edited to say so. I am still diving deeper into my QNAP and learning, tweaking to how I want it not the Default Wizard settings I used on initial setup
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Johnno72 wrote:1. I didn't create the folder personally, software change of data path created it and I know which one,
Beyond me what or how this is related with the File Manager. "the folder" ... uh, waht, pleeeeeease?
Johnno72 wrote:2. I never use Guest Accounts period and that is what threw me and when it stated garbage like Guest security details required, I was like WTF... that is why I said I doing bit of research on this, and I worked out the what's, how's, and why's under 5 minutes and edited to say so. I am still diving deeper into my QNAP and learning, tweaking to how I want it not the Default Wizard settings I used on initial setup
Guest account? It's required for some operations ... but the account is never used for a login.

Default Wizard? Should you try to tweak the default shared folders, well - this is ways beyond the File Station. A new file manager won't change anything - as it does not change the QNAP design.

I'm lost what you try to explain here.
hubb_99
New here

Post by hubb_99 »

OneCD wrote:
"When you outgrow it, use your own file manager instead."

Well......what ones? I tried WinSCP and I think it blows. Using Windows Explorer would be nice but it's a bit slower due to Samba as I understand. I would love something with all the functionality of the WIN10 explorer because I really think they nailed it this time.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Aware File Station is a Web Applications, not a fully fledged Windows or whatever thing?
hubb_99 wrote: I would love something with all the functionality of the WIN10 explorer ...
Aware File Station is a Web Applications, not a fully fledged expandable binary application with direct access to a capable UI environment?

Functionality such as what exactly please?

Return to “Features Wanted”