Mlocate instead of Qsirch

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
ewster
First post

Mlocate instead of Qsirch

Post by ewster »

Qsirch was a huge disappointment for me. Took days to build an index. Then a version update happened and suddenly it wanted to rebuild the entire index again.

Instead of that, I ran mlocate on another linux box with 20TB of data dropped under it with NFS. Took about an hour to build that index that Qsirch struggled with over two days. And I can grep the output and do useful things with it, instead of being locked into a GUI.

Please QNAP, just let us geeks have mlocate on the QNAP box so the CLI can be fully functional once more.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Mlocate instead of Qsirch

Post by schumaku »

Several requests for making mlocate available already - no need for yet another request.

But sorry, comparing mlocate with Qsirch is a joke. Qsirch does index almost anything, full text, many formats, file tags, ... mlocate does index a tree of folders and file names only.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

in qsirch some of the contained info can also be excluded, if you want to take the time to adjust the settings. you can also set to exclude certain areas from being added into qsirch results.

not familiar with mlocate, but if i were to make a comparison to an alternative, i would say treesize which i tested does work with qnap. has way more advance stuff you can do. But for my own purposes i found that qsirch suffices.

http://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/?language=EN
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
joaster
Starting out

Post by joaster »

@Moogle did you find a way to exclude NFS shares from indexing by any way (GUI or CLI)? I still cannot use Qsirch because I am using NFS shares (see "How to exclude NFS shares in Qsirch 2.2.1" - viewtopic.php?f=121&t=126517&p=575023&h ... fs#p571973).
Regards, Joost.
GuillaumeJ
Starting out

Post by GuillaumeJ »

We really need a fast, file-name only alternative to qsirch

I don't need full content indexing, I just need to search by filenames.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

joaster wrote:@Moogle did you find a way to exclude NFS shares from indexing by any way (GUI or CLI)? I still cannot use Qsirch because I am using NFS shares (see "How to exclude NFS shares in Qsirch 2.2.1" - viewtopic.php?f=121&t=126517&p=575023&h ... fs#p571973).
Regards, Joost.
hi, sorry didn't notice your message. use the quote bb tag next time, it will notify me if someone mentioned me.

No i don't use NFS.

All i'm aware of is in QNAP QTS qsirch, you go to the settings exclude settings, add the directory paths you want to exclude from qsirch indexing, and thats it.

If doing that is not excluding the stuff at the location you mention after doing that, try asking qnap support. click my faq link on how to create a support ticket.

GuillaumeJ wrote:We really need a fast, file-name only alternative to qsirch

I don't need full content indexing, I just need to search by filenames.
yeah that would be nice... then we got 2 methods of indexing, one fully featured, and one just basic.

How about trying this
Add NAS-Based Network Locations to Windows 10 for Fast Search
If you’re using Windows Server in an office environment as a file server, indexing of files on network shares is handled automatically by the OS so that you can quickly find what you’re looking for. But if instead you have some form of network-attached storage (NAS) that runs Linux, even though there is support for SMB baked in, you lose out on some of the advantages of Windows-based storage.

Not that this poses too many issues for small businesses or home users, but one issue you may have is that when searching a network location, Windows will take much longer to return results because the OS has to manually crawl through the files each time rather than referencing a search index like it does for locally stored files.

Add network locations in File Explorer

But there’s an easy way to solve this problem, at least partially, and that’s by adding network locations that you’d like Windows to index to This PC in File Explorer. I say partially, because indexing on Windows Server also provides full-text indexing, where not only the name of each file is indexed, but also the contents of supported file formats. And when Windows Server is hosting the file share, the search client returns results provided by the indexing service on the server.

But when you add a non-Windows Server based network location to Windows 10, a local mirror is created using placeholders, or shortcuts, without the actual contents of the files, allowing the local indexing service to catalogue the file and folder names locally for quick search results.

Let’s look at how to add network locations to File Explorer.

Source:
https://www.petri.com/add-nas-based-net ... ast-search

alternatively there is this
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000772.htm

or this. point it toward your network NAS.
[youtube=]CR11NNE2sJg[/youtube]

*update

this will probably work best for you
merlinpimpim wrote:Hi,

This tool is wonderful but it lacks a WebUI (to not open QTS), or a software for Win/Mac.

Example:
http://www.voidtools.com/

"Everything" is a filename search engine for Windows.

How is Everything different from other search engines

Small installation file.
-Clean and simple user interface.
-Quick file indexing.
-Quick searching.
-Quick startup.
-Minimal resource usage.
-Small database on disk.
-Real-time updating.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
GuillaumeJ
Starting out

Post by GuillaumeJ »

Everything is very, very good - I've been using it for years.

But it's not going to work on the NAS. It's based on NFS disk format (which is why it's lightning fast)

And all other solutions are ran on a PC : it's going to be slow, and I would like a search directly on the NAS.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

ewster wrote:Qsirch was a huge disappointment for me. Took days to build an index. Then a version update happened and suddenly it wanted to rebuild the entire index again.
i just recently tested qsirch since i noticed an update. it did not take me days to index, albeit i was indexing roughly 4-6tb of datas worth.

indexing did not get stuck, so i guess that bug got fixed.

That said my unit only has 2gb ram which is near max of used ram on my device. i recommend 4gb or more ram, so your not limited to only using qsirch but no other apps cause no spare memory :(

If there is another update, i'll check if it tries to reindex from scratch or not.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=134081&p=625297&hi ... ch#p625242
NAS

Network

Resources

Return to “Features Wanted”