Secure erase of hard drives

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
alxrmrs
New here

Secure erase of hard drives

Post by alxrmrs »

It would be very useful if QTOS supported securely erasing hard drives by writing random data over it a specified (i.e. 0-10) number of times.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Secure erase of hard drives

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

on desktop i use privazer. i heard in a future version they MAY support NAS as well.

http://privazer.com/

[youtube=]kOZchMvGbj4[/youtube]
privazer.jpg
until then.... what i normally do if i wanted to really do a clean wipe. I format via QNAP. when done, i pull out all the hdds then use my HDD dock station which is connected to my desktop. I can then run privazer and wipe it that way via connected usb device selection :mrgreen:

hdd docks are really useful (for my own use i use it for diagnosing issues with hdd using other third party apps which can only be run from desktop pc, or just a quick way to access a HDD), i recommend getting one :)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

You might also checkout shred. Available through the Entware-3x QPKG. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

or if your intending for permanently getting rid of a broken hdd there is the actual shredding itself :D

[youtube=]rV4EvvgkZrQ[/youtube]

[youtube=]wb3Xa1h_RqM[/youtube]
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Trouble is that secure erasing HDDs (or SSDs) is hardly possible if the units are broken or run-out. SSD might block writing completely once the number of allowed writes is hit, too. For storage blocks going to re-usage or sales, a secure erase is better done off the NAS, because commonly the NAS has to return to service ASAP.
bitminer
Starting out

Post by bitminer »

And for you serious types:

[youtube=]WOdZkSdNKSM[/youtube]
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

alxrmrs wrote:It would be very useful if QTOS supported securely erasing hard drives by writing random data over it a specified (i.e. 0-10) number of times.
4.3.4 added a feature for securely erasing hard drives.
Secure Erase
Secure erase permanently deletes all data on a disk, ensuring that the data is unrecoverable. Using secure erase on an SSD also restores the disk's performance to its original factory state.

To begin, select a free disk, and then select "Action" > "Secure Erase". In the Secure Erase Wizard, follow the instructions to specify other disks to erase and the erase method.

If all disks in the NAS have been selected for a secure erase, a full NAS system re-initialization is required.

*Note: During the secure erase process, do not unplug any disks, or power off or restart the NAS. This ensures disks are fully erased and can be used again afterwards.
NAS

Network

Resources
alxrmrs
New here

Post by alxrmrs »

Awesome, thanks for the feature QNAP! Hopefully this will work on my failing drives so I can throw it out. I'll find out this week.
alxrmrs
New here

Post by alxrmrs »

If the SMART information says "Warning" secure erase is not available under actions. Is there a way to override this?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if the drives are failing and are just tossed out .. why go through a secure erase? .. a nail through the top cover works faster and is more secure
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

alxrmrs wrote:If the SMART information says "Warning" secure erase is not available under actions. Is there a way to override this?
The Secure Erase is available for "free" disks only - disks not used in a storage pool or holding a legacy volume. A control the "Free" a disk (remove from a redundant RAID) to secure erase and replace for rebuilding the RAID does not exist unfortunately. Please support the "Free" disk control addition feature request by filing tickets on https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ mentioning MantisBT 28413.
alxrmrs
New here

Post by alxrmrs »

Is it possible to set the disk as free even though the SMART status is warning? Under SMART it does say that the disk should be operating properly.
oldWindowsGuy
Starting out

Post by oldWindowsGuy »

alxrmrs wrote:Is it possible to set the disk as free even though the SMART status is warning? Under SMART it does say that the disk should be operating properly.
I would like to know if this is possible too. I have a drive that is working, but it listed as "warning." I'm replacing it (since it's less that 30 days old) but I'd like to wipe it before I send it back. Any way to do this in the NAS?
shaileshl
First post

Post by shaileshl »

oldWindowsGuy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 pm
alxrmrs wrote:Is it possible to set the disk as free even though the SMART status is warning? Under SMART it does say that the disk should be operating properly.
I would like to know if this is possible too. I have a drive that is working, but it listed as "warning." I'm replacing it (since it's less that 30 days old) but I'd like to wipe it before I send it back. Any way to do this in the NAS?
Did you get the solution for this? I am in the same boat. have to return the hard disk after wiping all the data.
matrixhasu
New here

Post by matrixhasu »

sadly the "safe erase" option is not available for external drives :/

Return to “Features Wanted”