Plain Text Alert Notifications!

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
AlanRogers
New here

Plain Text Alert Notifications!

Post by AlanRogers »

It appears that, as of 4.3.3.0154 Build 20170413, notification alert emails are no longer plain text but HTML encoded, with no option to choose or revert.

I support at least ten QNAP devices installed in my customers' premises and use Alert Notifications to raise support tickets. Until this upgrade, there was no issue. Now, probably because of failings in my ticket system, the tickets raised look like this:
NAS Notification Alert Email.PNG
I'd really like to turn HTML email off in Alert Notifications, so that the full message is immediately visible to me without having to open an attachment. I've already asked the support system developers to look at this but the cause of the problem is this upgrade, hence this request here.

For me, this is an incomplete enhancement, poorly considered. It's doing something because we can rather than we should. There's absolutely no need for bling in a notification alert email, just information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlanRogers
New here

Re: Plain Text Alert Notifications!

Post by AlanRogers »

For completeness, here is how the old plain text emails were received and visible. I think you'll agree that it's very much more useful to a support provider!
OLD Notification Alert Email.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

AlanRogers wrote:For completeness, here is how the old plain text emails were received and visible. I think you'll agree that it's very much more useful to a support provider!
OLD Notification Alert Email.PNG
+1 for this please.

I agree with you on this Alan, straight forward presentation.

perhaps:
Revert back to the simple email alert notification and attach other document type(s) by a simple check-box selection: (1) html, (2), PDF (3) txt, (4) ALL

I think there must be a limit to the file types that can be email attached eg, html, PDF and txt, providing four types of Alert Notifications. This should give a decent cross-platform satisfaction for most IT departments, including Digital Data. We get four IT workable document types: original simple email Alert Notification, html, PDF and txt

I'd be happy with that.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
strger
New here

Post by strger »

Also have no joy with the new format of alerts ...

using alerting for backup reports. New notification mails don´t display the images inside, and the main interesting things (Folder pairs, Total Folders, ... Errors) are represented without CR/LF in this format.

makes it more difficult to use!
Gusto
Getting the hang of things

Post by Gusto »

+1 give us an option for plain text.
TS-469 Pro - 3GB RAM (KVR1333D3S8S9/2G) -QTS 4.3.4.1129 Build 20191107 - 4x Hitachi HUA723020ALA640 MK7O - RAID5 - with APC Back-UPS ES 550G
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Please get in touch with QNAP on https://helpdesk.qnap.com/, add feature request (complain about the change), add the link to this thread, and mention MantisBT ID 20347. Your observations fit to my complaints on the very same issue since the QTS 4.3 tech previews.

Thank you for backing!

-Kurt
AlanRogers
New here

Post by AlanRogers »

I'd love to do that @schumaku but I must be a little slow this afternoon. I can't see the option to add a feature request on https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ only to raise a support ticket.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Yes, go for it!
AlanRogers
New here

Post by AlanRogers »

schumaku wrote:Please get in touch with QNAP ... and mention MantisBT ID 20347
Not sure what this bit is supposed to mean but I included it anyway. Hopefully it means something to the technician! The ID is nothing like my ticket number, so is a bug report instead?
schumaku wrote:Yes, go for it!
Done, and my ticket number is LPQ-716-97236. They've responded and requested both screen shots and logs, which have been supplied. Evidently, this technician at least doesn't read this forum!

My fingers are crossed but my breath is not held.
sandheep
New here

Post by sandheep »

+1, would love to have the option to select between plain text or HTML notifications.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

sandheep wrote:+1, would love to have the option to select between plain text or HTML notifications.
Afraid, you must have missed something...
plaintext.PNG
Enjoy!

Return to “Features Wanted”