Microsoft Update Service

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
TRANCE_OZY
New here

Microsoft Update Service

Post by TRANCE_OZY »

I would like to see a native QNAP service which would have the following features
1) Registration of Windows Computers for updates
2) Download of the updates for the Windows Computers from Microsoft
3) Scheduled Distribution of the updates to the windows computers on the local network

This would have the advantage of minimizing the downloading of patches reducing network costs for the home user
Centralizing distribution of patches
Easier administration for the home user

Of course Microsoft would also have to come to the party to allow home users to change where the updates are downloaded from.

This could also be achieved by installing a virtual machine and running Microsofts CCM as the distribution software. However this involves additional license costs for the Microsoft Server.

Cheers
David C.
giopas
Been there, done that

Re: Microsoft Update Service

Post by giopas »

I am not an expert of this, but I am afraid that you should in any case pay a license to Microsoft to do what you want as - afaik - there is no third party application able to achieve such tasks. But I may be wrong.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Qnap TS-253Pro 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 2 WRed 4TB (RAID 1)
Qnap TS-453A 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 4 WRed 4TB (RAID 5)
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

These KB updates and patches are available online directly from MS already not to mention Windows Update is automatic itself, perhaps you can point to this using a torrent package, download the KB patches to your NAS and then you can distribute from there.

I would highly doubt MS would implement this, when they have their hands full with Windows 10 and now Windows Server 2012 are both being worked on heavily in the Insider Preview program. As for home user network costs, they are already covered in their monthly unlimited internet data allowance.

Remember that MS have implemented the Windows Update UUP Program back in December 2016 that reduces the 3Gb update to smaller size by only pushing out particular updated components and not the entire OS.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

I doubt it will happen due to security issues surround this.

so imagine someone hacks this type of distribution and you get malware updates instead of the MS updates.

you can however setup one of your Windows 10 or 2012 to be a distribution point.

goto windows settings, update & security, advanced options, the click on "choose how updates are delivered"
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

TRANCE_OZY wrote: 1) Registration of Windows Computers for updates
How should this be achieved? The NAS cant know which computer it should push updates too.

Due to the fact the MS Update Services are "pull". The computers need to contact the Update Services and not vice versa.

Setup a Windows Server incl. ADDomain and WSUS, this should resolve your problem.
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

TRANCE_OZY wrote:I would like to see a native QNAP service which would have the following features
1) Registration of Windows Computers for updates
2) Download of the updates for the Windows Computers from Microsoft
3) Scheduled Distribution of the updates to the windows computers on the local network

This would have the advantage of minimizing the downloading of patches reducing network costs for the home user
Centralizing distribution of patches
Easier administration for the home user

Of course Microsoft would also have to come to the party to allow home users to change where the updates are downloaded from.

This could also be achieved by installing a virtual machine and running Microsofts CCM as the distribution software. However this involves additional license costs for the Microsoft Server.

Cheers
David C.
I understand fully that you want these updates downloaded to the QNAP and you distribute them from there, as you say to reduce your Internet traffic, in theory you could download the Microsoft KB files and place them on the QNAP then point your PC's to the QNAP, this would be manually done though, I use to do this with NT years ago. I have even seen one learning business with a base installation and every night (at 11pm) every PC that students have access to are reset back to default, updates are downloaded to the Main PC being the teachers (which is updated first) then all other PC's are updated from the network, crude but it works with some small hiccups.

However, with unlimited data nowadays there really isn't the need to worry about internet traffic no more. The biggest thing we look at now is the speed of the internet connection itself and the charges that come with these, such as ISP's bundling Home, Internet and Mobile packages!!! Like WTF do we need Home Landlines for? Even back to base alarm systems don't need a landline, throw in a $100 GSM card and bingo... you have outside access via mobile service, the landline is dead for all intense purposes, baring those MedicAlerts etc. but these are being replaced with GSM as well.

This is something for Microsoft to apply to their systems and I would think if the user were running Windows Server this would be applicable but for Windows in general, be it Home or Pro, Microsoft have introduced back in December '16 the UUP update platform which is nothing but seriously buggy and is causing nothing but trouble with updating of Windows OS. The UUP update platform simply reduces the amount of files being sent to each PC therefore in turn reducing the download size of the update, the reduced size is simply done by not updating those files that don't need updating.

If we look in the Windows Update under settings you can see the option to download the updates from Microsoft and from other PC's on your network, so if you are seeing much more network traffic then this is one reason as to why. Eventually, anything that you want under Windows OS will be a subscription based service as Windows OS is moving also to the WAS, which is Windows as A Service.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205

Return to “Features Wanted”