Container Station for TS-431

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
cfriedt
New here

Container Station for TS-431

Postby cfriedt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 am

Dear QNAP people,

First of all, I've been very happy with my QNAP TS-431 (not 431+) since I bought it about 2 years ago. I was specifically searching for an ARM-based solution that was silent. Thanks for that!

However, I was a bit disappointed to learn that QNAP has decided not to support Container Station, among others [1], in the 4.3.3 release of QTS for the TS-431.

From what I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, there seem to be 2 issues preventing support.

1) The fairly old version version of the Linux kernel[2] that ships with QTS
2) The unpleasantness of building and linking Docker within the QTS environment

Certainly that must be the case because there are many other systems out there, of the same architecture and with fewer resources, that are able to run Docker out-of-the-box (e.g. the BeagleBone Black - single Cortex-A8 @ 1GHz with 512 MB of ram [4], supported by resin.io [5]).

In the spirit of community, since QNAP has given myself and many others such a great product, I would like to give back to QNAP.

If the QNAP community is able to resolve the 2 issues above, and naturally provide all source code back to QNAP, would QNAP agree to the following?

a) putting the a QTS release with the aforementioned kernel through their internal QA process, and
b) re-releasing Container Station to support the TS-431 (pending QTS update)

The only reason I'm volunteering my time for this is simply because I really do enjoy my QNAP product and would prefer to remain a QNAP customer ... because, realistically, if QNAP forces me to buy a different model just because they cannot internally build the software I want and refuse to accept my help for free in doing so, I would probably be better off with a different vendor anyway.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Christopher Friedt

[1] and also multimedia transcoding. You have dual core Cortex-A9 with NEON - that's what NEON was designed for.
[2]
# uname -a
Linux NASECA527 3.2.26 #2 SMP Fri Sep 1 05:40:39 CST 2017 armv7l unknown
[/root] # cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor name : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
processor : 0
BogoMIPS : 2387.14

processor : 1
BogoMIPS : 2393.70

Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 1

Hardware : Comcerto 2000 EVM
Revision : 0001