Virtual Switch (advanced functionality)

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
bekax5
New here

Virtual Switch (advanced functionality)

Postby bekax5 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:20 am

I'd like to request some "advanced" functionality to be added on the virtual switch.

Given that these are used together with the QNAP hypervisor, they should support basic network functions so that VMs could use the network as they should.

For example, there is no way to really dedicate a NIC to a VM!
More specifically, every unicast packet without the VM's IP is dropped. And why does this happen if the VM has no IP since it's in promiscuous mode? It should receive in it's interface everything that has been sent to the QNAP physical interface!
Thus, the VM can't correctly use promiscuous mode, because the virtual switch drops the packets!
I believe the correct network mode should be "external-mode" according to QNAP. However this isn't in fact a dedicated mode since the QNAP vswitch controller appears to give instructions to drop packets whenever it "thinks" that the IP isn't inside of the QNAP.

So either:
- Fix the External-Mode, so it doesn't drop packets (this should be dealt by the VM and not the virtual switch with IP 0.0.0.0)
- Add support for Promiscuous Mode
- Add support for VM dedicated NIC

These are some really basic functions that I can't believe aren't yet working on QNAP devices!
It's crazy to thing there is a hypervisor but there's no way to force traffic to a VM or an interface!

Don
Guru

Re: Virtual Switch (advanced functionality)

Postby Don » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 am

As stated many times this is a community forum and not QNAP support. You need to open a ticket with QNAP for feature requests.
Read the Online Manuals and use the forum search feature (upper right hand corner) before posting.

It is a recommended to use RAID and have external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from catastrophic system failure. One does not replace the other.

Bugs and feature requests need to be submitted to QNAP via their Helpdesk or Helpdesk app.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 4.3.3.0361 | 40GB | 2 x M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System) | 2 x M.2 NMVe RAID 1 (Cache) | 3 x 4TB HDD RAID 5 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-663 | F/W: 4.3.3.0361 | 16GB | 2 x M.2 NMVe QM2 RAID 1 (Cache) | 3 x 4TB RAID 5
N/W: Netgear NightHawk R7800 router | SMC gigabit switch

bekax5
New here

Postby bekax5 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:53 pm

There's still a request for two features to be added, and I believe it's the correct forum section?
- Add support for Promiscuous Mode
- Add support for VM dedicated NIC

But maybe I could've kept the "broken" external-mode apart from this topic.

Edit:
My objective was exactly monitor network traffic in virtualization station.
Acoording to the support website and on a previous QTS version this was possible:
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... on-station

schumaku
Guru

Postby schumaku » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:48 pm

bekax5 wrote:There's still a request for two features to be added, and I believe it's the correct forum section?
Yes, it's the only place where other community members can see feature requests. Please don't forget to file the feature request (on all three items) with https:/hdelpdesk.qnap.com/ too.

bekax5 wrote:My objective was exactly monitor network traffic in virtualization station.
This was not a difficult guess.

bekax5 wrote:Acoording to the support website and on a previous QTS version this was possible: (URL)
Absolutely correct - we were able to have a fully transparent interface before the Virtual Switch was forced in.

bekax5
New here

Postby bekax5 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:01 pm

schumaku wrote:
bekax5 wrote:There's still a request for two features to be added, and I believe it's the correct forum section?
Yes, it's the only place where other community members can see feature requests. Please don't forget to file the feature request (on all three items) with https:/hdelpdesk.qnap.com/ too.

bekax5 wrote:My objective was exactly monitor network traffic in virtualization station.
This was not a difficult guess.

bekax5 wrote:Acoording to the support website and on a previous QTS version this was possible: (URL)
Absolutely correct - we were able to have a fully transparent interface before the Virtual Switch was forced in.

Thanks for the reply.

I submitted the ticket about the dedicated mode.
I'm not sure though if there is a subsection where one can request features?
I submitted under the virtual switch, since I couldn't find a better topic for it.

Return to “Features Wanted”