A way of monitoring my UPS attached to the NAS via USB.

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
ColHut
Know my way around

A way of monitoring my UPS attached to the NAS via USB.

Post by ColHut »

I appreciate this type of question has been asked before. In the absence of some simple third party software possibly running on a PC, there seems no way of getting even simple data about the status of the UPS when the the UPS is connected via USB to the NAS. For me, I would at least like to be able to run my NetGuard software from a PC through the NAS, or have a utility (App?) on the NAS that I can check. The nominal battery percentage given currently on the QNAP is pretty useless.

regards
dolbyman
Guru

Re: A way of monitoring my UPS attached to the NAS via USB.

Post by dolbyman »

check the compatibilty list and then check the manual

compatible ups show power input ,remaining runtime and charge status in the nas
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

As Dolby mentioned check the Compatibility List at:https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/ is simple to use, I have included example screen capture which I hope helps you:
Comp.Listexample.png
Regarding obtaining stats. and other information via USB this appears to be impossible, the USB connection simply allows the NAS to shutdown on mains power failure and that's it.

When I connected my UPS via USB and Serial, all I could do was set shutdown settings and that was it. But I too, wanted to see the UPS information regarding brownouts, spikes, surges, mains power loss etc. that can be done and I found reading up further I was required to install a NIC card (RMCARD205), once this was done I could connect via IP and see the logs, do more advanced settings and obtain further information about condition of the UPS. So it would appear to monitor, read UPS logs, stats. and other information about the NAS you will require a NIC IP connection.

I have found this information that briefly supports my own situation using USB or Serial that would not allow me access to any information such as stats: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... ups-by-usb

Regards
Johnno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
ColHut
Know my way around

Post by ColHut »

Thanks guys.

Alas my Powershield, although cleared for all Synology models, is not (nor is any item of theirs) listed as compatible with QNAP. It works fine of course and has seen me through the last few brief outages. Testing shows it will work and shut down the NAS properly (anything else is a bonus) . I only wait 3 minutes because it takes 5 minutes to shut down, although the UPS will last a lot longer.

Regarding the use of network cards, yes that does appear to be the only option. Unfortunately my entry level 1.6KVA Defender will not take an SNMP card. Maybe next time I will get a network compatible model to improve monitoring.

Johnno - I will carefully read the linked article.

Thanks again for your input

regards
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

Howdy ColHut, we hope the information, help etc. is of use to yourself and everyone. I am learning a heap with the help of others here also, even the old pros are still learning themselves which is great to see, after all we can not know everything unless you have an identic memory and recall, if I could have been so lucky but alas I was not.

It is easier to research what I can and provide the direct links rather than doubling up the information on the internet, why waste expensive and precious server space right.

Yes, you would certainly be better prepared if you stick to the QNAP Compatibility List, most support I have seen will not help if your device is not listed on these lists so it does pay to do the right thing in the beginning.

I have chosen CyberPower for my UPS system and am very happy with it working as intended happily. Others will of course recommend other manufacturers which is good as it shows the variety of products being used within the same device category, after all it is personal preference.

So yes you will need to remember that for the work you want to do with your UPS you will be required a NIC, most UPS's don't allow for installation of third party hardware as they don't have that option while others may include these advanced devices included at a premium.
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205

Return to “Features Wanted”