Proxy Server

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
ghost32
Getting the hang of things

Re: Proxy Server

Post by ghost32 »

wotschek wrote:Hey folks,

I looked around a little bit, as I was searching for a way to make browsing safe, while sitting in an internet-café or open WLAN or things like that.
As I am the owner of a TS-209, I found a nice way to use the NAS as a SOCKS5 Proxy.

Step 1:
First of all, I set up the DDNS - Service. So register somewhere like dyndns.org, so that you can find your homenetwork from anywhere.

Step 2:
Cut a hole into the firewall of your home router - this is necessary to connect to the SSH port of your NAS in your homenet. So tell your router at home to forward any traffic on port XY to port 22 on your Home-NAS. I would suggest, that you use port 80 or any port that is usually open in most firewalls. So, if you are in a network that only accepts connections to port 80, you can still communicate with your homenetwork.

Step 3:
Now get a ssh-client, for instance putty. Putty is a tiny ssh-client that doesnt require administrative rights for installation.

Step 4:
Connect to your DDNS-Adress via putty on the port you opened in your router. Log in to your NAS (i.e. TS 209).

Step 5:
Now you can configure putty as your socks-server. Choose Connection => SSH => Tunnels. Enter a source port for the Socks5 Service XYZ (i.e. 2009) (do not enter a destination). Chose the radio - button "dynamic" and "apply" afterwards. Putty opens this port on localhost.

Step 6:
Now its nearly done. Chose the browser of your choice and enter in the connection-settings your Socks-address. In this example, the adress is localhost and the port is 2009.

Enjoy safe browsing, even through heavy firewalled networks.
As a last tip, for those who use firefox: Tell firefox to use remote dns-lookup, so that ip adresses are resolved "at home".
Enter about:config in firefox, look up the entry "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" and change from "false" to "true".

Now you are browsing the net "from home". You can also enter the ip of your NAS-System in your browser, i.e. 192.168.0.2 etc. pp.

Et voilá, thats it.
hf.
Last but not least: Please keep in mind, that your routers firewall is now open - though its just one port. I do not overtake any guarantees for the security of your network. ;-)

does this work? it's seems quite a simple way to do, what allot of people have been asking about?
PeterJH
Getting the hang of things

Post by PeterJH »

Folks,

a member of the German forum http://forum.qnapclub.de published a procedure to get Squid running on his NAS. It might be worth to check if he is willing to translate. He is also working on getting squidgard up and running.

Peter
igracgq
Starting out

Post by igracgq »

any upadates on this solution?... would live to have a proxy ability on QNAP
Hammond
Starting out

Post by Hammond »

I would like to get SQUID installed on the QNAP as there are many occasions I need to relay when in the field.
Otherwise what about VPN in and relay out?
My alternative aim for the proxy was actually to provide a DNS caching proxy for the network that allowed blocking of X domains.
Good for monitoring too.

Return to “Features Wanted”