Rsync support for "sync remote to local" in Hybrid Backup Sync

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
mintstructure
New here

Rsync support for "sync remote to local" in Hybrid Backup Sync

Post by mintstructure »

Hybrid Backup Sync appears to allow backing up from the NAS to a remote server using rsync, but it does not seem to allow the NAS to do a pull backup from a remote server using rsync in the "active sync" option.

I set up a cron job to do this for now, but it would be a lot more convenient if I could do it in Hybrid Backup Sync. Since it's already possible to do rsync in the other direction it seems like this should basically just be an issue of changing the command line that gets executed slightly, so is there any possibility that this could be added as an option?
Don
Guru

Re: Rsync support for "sync remote to local" in Hybrid Backup Sync

Post by Don »

This is a community forum and QNAP does not frequent. Open a ticket for enhancement requests.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

From my experience, QNAP will not put much effort out to do development work or troubleshooting for non QNAP products. If you were having issues with rsync from one QNAP to another - then they would address this. But if you can't do rsync to another brand remote server - I doubt QNAP would put any effort into this at all. I can assure you that if you have the correct ports opened on your router at the remote destination (port 873 for a QNAP) - then rync will absolutely do a backup from one QNAP to another. I do this all the time. And you don't need to setup a Linux cron job. You can schedule Hybrid Backup Sync to backup whenever you want with a simple web GUI that is included with the application.
The main problem I have with installations failing with remote access or remote backup is the ROUTER having ports blocked that the QNAPs need to access. I face this issue all the time, which is why my ideal situation is a simple cable modem and a Synology RT-2600AC router or Netgear Nighthawk router, which is ideal for NAS systems that need to have ports opened up. (that does not require brain surgery to do it).

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
mintstructure
New here

Post by mintstructure »

Don wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:27 pm This is a community forum and QNAP does not frequent. Open a ticket for enhancement requests.
Thanks, I will try that.
Bob Zelin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm From my experience, QNAP will not put much effort out to do development work or troubleshooting for non QNAP products. If you were having issues with rsync from one QNAP to another - then they would address this. But if you can't do rsync to another brand remote server - I doubt QNAP would put any effort into this at all.
I guess I can understand that, but they do provide some options for backing up remote servers (ftp, etc.) currently, just not rsync.
Bob Zelin wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm I can assure you that if you have the correct ports opened on your router at the remote destination (port 873 for a QNAP) - then rync will absolutely do a backup from one QNAP to another. I do this all the time. And you don't need to setup a Linux cron job. You can schedule Hybrid Backup Sync to backup whenever you want with a simple web GUI that is included with the application.
The main problem I have with installations failing with remote access or remote backup is the ROUTER having ports blocked that the QNAPs need to access. I face this issue all the time, which is why my ideal situation is a simple cable modem and a Synology RT-2600AC router or Netgear Nighthawk router, which is ideal for NAS systems that need to have ports opened up. (that does not require brain surgery to do it).
I am aware that Hybrid Backup Sync has a "simple web GUI" because my post was specifically about Hybrid Backup Sync. As I said, as far as I can tell there is no option to use rsync in the "sync remote to local" pane in Hybrid Backup Sync despite the fact that you can use rsync in the opposite direction. Whether ports are open on the router is not relevant, because I am talking about the QNAP NAS connecting to a remote server to copy data to the NAS via rsync over ssh, so the only thing that matters is that the QNAP NAS is capable of connecting to the remote sever.

The QNAP NAS has all the underlying functionality that is required: it has ssh and rsync, and Hybrid Backup Sync can already connect to a remote server and use rsync to copy data from the NAS to the remote server, the gui simply does not expose an option to change the arguments to rsync to copy data in the opposite direction. And as I said, I already have a cron job on the QNAP NAS doing exactly this, so there are obviously no other factors preventing the QNAP NAS from being able to do this.
Brotfahrer
First post

Post by Brotfahrer »

Hi,

in fact, such a feature like "Sync remote folder to local folder" is not supported in HBS 3.

In my 6 years old (!) QNAP TS-653 this feature is integrated in the Backup Station and works perfectly (RTRR).
In my brand new QNAP TS-873 this feature is not implemented.

What an embarrassing step backward. QNAP, shame on you.

Best regards,
Thomas
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Brotfahrer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:07 pm In my 6 years old (!) QNAP TS-653 this feature is integrated in the Backup Station and works perfectly (RTRR).
In my brand new QNAP TS-873 this feature is not implemented.
It's available in your TS-873 as well for RTRR. I would expect Backup Station to have the same features in both your NASes but should there be a difference, you have the option to use the Hybrid Backup Sync (HBS) app. HBS can definitely can do a pull sync over RTRR.
What an embarrassing step backward. QNAP, shame on you.
?

This thread is a feature request about doing a pull sync with Rsync, so very different from the case you describe using RTRR. Pull sync with Rsync have so far never been supported by Qnap, neither in Backup Station nor in HBS. It's available from the command line though as it's a Rsync feature.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Features Wanted”