Need an RPM package for QFinder Pro

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
jlturriff
New here

Need an RPM package for QFinder Pro

Post by jlturriff »

I recently bought your TS-231P NAS device, but I cannot install your QFinder Pro package on my OpenSuSE Leap 15.1 Linux system because it uses RPM packages, not deb packages. This means that for me, your NAS device is effectively a brick.

Debian distributions may be the most popular ones these days, but there are others as well. RedHat and OpenSuSE are the two most obvious examples.

Please provide an RPM package for your non-Debian customers so that we can use your product.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Need an RPM package for QFinder Pro

Post by dolbyman »

this is a community forum..so there is no "you" as in qnap..qnap devs do not come here

why do you need qfinder..finding the nas should be easy for a linux user
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

jlturriff wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 am This means that for me, your NAS device is effectively a brick.
Qfinder is for people who can't work out what IP address their NAS has been assigned (as you can probably tell by who QNAP makes it available to).

As an openSUSE user, you really don't need such a basic utility. But you gave up fairly quickly, so I don't know how you're managing with a PITA OS like openSUSE. ;)

Locate your NAS IP and navigate to it from within a client web-browser: http://nasip:8080

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

Go on your router and check what DHCP up address has been assigned to the NAS. Or use a network discovery tool, such nmap, you can find on opeSuse. ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Qnap TS-253Pro 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 2 WRed 4TB (RAID 1)
Qnap TS-453A 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 4 WRed 4TB (RAID 5)
jlturriff
New here

Post by jlturriff »

OneCD wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:44 pm
jlturriff wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 am This means that for me, your NAS device is effectively a brick.
Qfinder is for people who can't work out what IP address their NAS has been assigned (as you can probably tell by who QNAP makes it available to).

As an openSUSE user, you really don't need such a basic utility. But you gave up fairly quickly, so I don't know how you're managing with a PITA OS like openSUSE. ;)
Gee, thank you so much for your helpful response.
jlturriff
New here

Post by jlturriff »

giopas wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:50 pm Go on your router and check what DHCP up address has been assigned to the NAS. Or use a network discovery tool, such nmap, you can find on opeSuse. ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Ah, thank you. For some reason the device did not show up right away in my router configuration, but now it has.
jlturriff
New here

Post by jlturriff »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:25 am this is a community forum..so there is no "you" as in qnap..qnap devs do not come here
So "Features Wanted" is never seen by the developers? How useful.
It didn't show up in my router configuration, and the QNAP site said to use their QFinder Pro software in that case.
Strangely, now I do see it in my router configuration.

Still, if QNAP provides the tool for the Linux environment, it should make it available to all distros, not just Debians.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

jlturriff wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:11 am So "Features Wanted" is never seen by the developers? How useful.
yeah .. those section were created a long time ago .. back in the days QNAP still had an active presence of QNAP employees here in the forum .. not anymore, besides presales .. once in a while
dbman
New here

Post by dbman »

Considering that most people who utilize linux for one reason or another why would any company have set goals to other linux users?
Because Linux has been around for only a few years as far as Qnap is concerned and as we all know Linux is just a fad that lasted way past Windows 3.0, some people have the nerve to complain that this company is unable to convert a program to rpm , yes most printer companies have linux applications and large organizations who have linux tend to go for Red Hat not Ubuntu and yes Red Hat is a billion dollar company. But what do they know, they could never build systems like Qnap. Have a product that considers most Linux users are manly Ubuntu is the right way to think. I use Mageia which is a french company and it's based off of RPM. I'm glad Qnap just does not care about other users. Provide the needs of the few not the many.
dbman
New here

Post by dbman »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:25 am this is a community forum..so there is no "you" as in qnap..qnap devs do not come here

Thank you, because someone who uses Linux you should never hope a company would consider ease of use.
Linux only uses green screens, and no GUI everybody knows this, and every or most Linux users code that's why only Ubuntu should have an application for ease. Ubuntu is the best Linux format which is why RedHat is a billion dollar company :ubergeek:
And Ubuntu is the only linux format RPM what's that ?...
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Features Wanted”