Qmigrate or QuMigrate sort of app would be nice

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Guapo81
Know my way around

Qmigrate or QuMigrate sort of app would be nice

Post by Guapo81 »

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this thought for open discussion.
Bought my new TS-h886 like 3 weeks back and needed to migrate my complete setup and data from my "old" TVS-682 to my new TS-h886.

It took me about a week to get more or less everything running smoothly again on the new system, but migrating from one QNAP to another is not without pain.
Just wondering how people are managing their migration to new systems.
I know that one of the best ways to do it is to simply put the disks of the old system in the new one, but in this case this was not possible, because of switching from legacy volume to ZFS, storage pools, thin provisioning, etc.

In my opinion it would be nice to have a migration tool which could take over the process for you.
For example the migrate function of virtualisation station for your VM's is really great!! It does the compatibility checks on the new system and migrates the VM's to the new system without any pain.
Also migration of PLEX worked out just fine with the procedure I found on the plex.tv forum (https://forums.plex.tv/t/moving-plex-fr ... /193344/19).

Unfortunately migration of certain other apps is not without problems.
For example, multimedia console, with all the multimedia apps like Qumagie, simply don't work for migration. The export tool there does almost nothing, making you lose all stuff like albums, people recognition, etc.
Also did not find a way to migrate the mail data from qmailagent (viewtopic.php?f=134&t=159232&p=778051#p778051)to the new one.

Just think that QNAP could put in some more effort making this easier for its users since the hardware does not have an eternal lifespan, meaning everybody will run into similar problems at some point.
If anyone has some bright ideas about migrating stuff to a new system I would like to hear it.
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie
Guapo81
Know my way around

Re: Qmigrate or QuMigrate sort of app would be nice

Post by Guapo81 »

Surprised that nobody has something on this topic, looking over to the synology side, it's standard functionality...
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... nassistant

Migration Assistant
Migration Assistant is an application for migrating data from one Synology NAS to a new one. With only a few simple steps to set up, this tool streamlines the traditional migration process and seamlessly migrate system settings and data.

Source and Destination Synology NAS
In these Migration Assistant articles, the original Synology NAS from which data is moved shall be called the source Synology NAS or source device, while the new one shall be called the destination Synology NAS or destination device.

Migratable Items
Migration Assistant is designed to migrate all services and data to a new Synology NAS. The following are migratable items:

Data (migrated on a volume/block-level LUN basis)
Packages, package settings, and package data
System configuration

Looking at the direction QNAP is going in nowadays it would not surprise me if they would bring a feature like this, but then again putting the usefull items behind a paid pro or premium package...
QNAP TS-h886-64G 2x Samsung 970PRO NVMe SSD (RAID1, System), 2x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (RAID1, VM) 4x Seagate EXOS X16 16TB (RAID5, Data) - FW: QuTS-hero
QNAP TVS-682-i3-32G 4x HGST HUH728060ALN600 (RAID5, Backup) - FW: QTS
QNAP TVS-463 4x Seagate ST2000VN000 (RAID5, Surveillance, Backup) - FW: QTS
Former units: TS-469Pro, TS-459ProII, TS-269Pro, Qgenie

Return to “Features Wanted”