Blackmagic video .Braw support FEATURE REQUEST

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
luked29
First post

Blackmagic video .Braw support FEATURE REQUEST

Post by luked29 »

Please support Blackmagic video codec. This is a fantastic codec for professional / semi-professional video production workflows. I can play the files on every other computer accept the Qnap media server. I am currently using the TVS-472XT.
jaysona
Been there, done that

Re: Blackmagic video .Braw support FEATURE REQUEST

Post by jaysona »

This is a user forum, not a QNAP support forum.

You will need to submit a feature request directly to QNAP, posting here is nothing but a waste of electrons........
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I do nothing but pro video systems with QNAP servers. I just installed a QNAP TS-h1886XU-RP with 12 drives. IT can play back 12K BRAW without issue.
You are limited by the speed of your drives. Most of the systems I install have pro users using Davinci Resolve, AVID Media Composer, Adobe Premiere and Apple FCP X.
I install TVS-872XT, TS-1685, TS-h1288X, TS-1688X, TS-h1277XU-RP, TS-h1683XU-RP. You know - systems with more than 4 drives, that are configured correctly in a single static volume (thin provision for
QuTS systems -all over 10G networks). All of my clients are doing 4K and above editing. I not only work with BRAW, I work with ProRes442HQ, ProRes4444, DNxHR, DNxHD, XAVC, Arri RAW, and .r3d files, including 8K media from .r3d.

So exactly what is your feature request ? That you could not afford an 8 bay or larger QNAP and you demand that it plays back 8K BRAW with 4 drives ?

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
goldentee.tv
Starting out

Post by goldentee.tv »

Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:26 am I do nothing but pro video systems with QNAP servers. I just installed a QNAP TS-h1886XU-RP with 12 drives. IT can playback 12K BRAW without issue.
You are limited by the speed of your drives. Most of the systems I install have pro users using Davinci Resolve, AVID Media Composer, Adobe Premiere and Apple FCP X.
I install TVS-872XT, TS-1685, TS-h1288X, TS-1688X, TS-h1277XU-RP, TS-h1683XU-RP. You know - systems with more than 4 drives, that are configured correctly in a single static volume (thin provision for
QuTS systems -all over 10G networks). All of my clients are doing 4K and above editing. I not only work with BRAW, I work with ProRes442HQ, ProRes4444, DNxHR, DNxHD, XAVC, Arri RAW, and .r3d files, including 8K media from .r3d.

So exactly what is your feature request ? That you could not afford an 8 bay or larger QNAP and you demand that it plays back 8K BRAW with 4 drives ?

Bob Zelin
Maybe he means within QNAP and not reading from it. If that's the case I don't see the point of his "request" and if he's talking about from the NAS then... I second what you just said but still question why he would think that would be a needed feature since he would and I would imagine know, it's an obvious system or lack of system resource issue.

Hey Bob in regards to your x72's installs. Have they all of a sudden started rebooting on you or have you had to get your MB replaced for those due to the known issues with the 1.3MB and now possibly a new issue with the 1.7? Just curious. I'll hit you up on your business site since I have some other questions for you and wouldn't mind a professional opinion or at the very least a resource I can send clients to that go above my paygrade.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

on the x72 installs -
they don't all of a sudden start to reboot. They just die. They won't power on. By coincidence, I have seen this over and over after firmware updates, that require a reboot, and then it just no longer powers back up. The TVS-872XT is probably the most popular QNAP I ever installed, so it's quite disappointing to see so many of them fail with an actual hardware failure. But QNAP does take care of it - you just have to mail it back to them (in the US, it's in Pomona, California).

I am happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Features Wanted”