Drive Cloner for JBOD Users to Replace Failing Drives!

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Rew452a
Starting out

Drive Cloner for JBOD Users to Replace Failing Drives!

Post by Rew452a »

As a long time Qnap user, favoring JBOD configuration, oddly referred to as Raid 0, since my main objective is space for my media storage. I recently had 2 drives flagging with SMART issues but no data errors. Drives were IronWolf"s but almost 4 years old and out of warranty.

While other Raid flavors could accomplish this rather easily, it demands twice the number of drives to get the same storage space. But since loss of data is not the so much the issue since I have the original data it boils down to time to recover.

I thought well why can't either within the Qnap or with an external program and PC, why not just clone the drive to a new replacement.

I tried to use CloneZilla but even it could not clone the drive.

Since I have 2 Qnap Nas's I ended up using the second Nas with new large drive to do a Volume backup which had the failing drives. Then removing the Volume, powering down Nas and replacing the affected drives with new replacements and restoring the volume with the backup.
This has worked but of course it is more expensive, having to get a drive large enough to do the volume backup and of course the time needed to backup and restore.

A Qnap drive Cloning Utility, either as part of the Qnap OS or external PC Utility would be ideal.

As I said I could not find any utility that could Clone a Qnap drive. I would hope that Qnap or some enterprising programer would undertake such a Utility. I certainly would purchase.

Rew
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Drive Cloner for JBOD Users to Replace Failing Drives!

Post by dolbyman »

spanning jbod and raid0 are different things

with either you have to be prepared to do a full restore from backups on single drive failure

asking for any app to fix it, is bordering witchcraft or at least wishful thinking
Rew452a
Starting out

Post by Rew452a »

WHY?
Rew452a
Starting out

Post by Rew452a »

A Drive is a Drive and there should be no reason one can't shut down a nas and clone a drive from it to a new one.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if a drive has failed, it has failed .. no need to clone a failed drive .. because it will ... fail

to get the missing information back you would need parity, and that you only get with raid (other than raid0)
Rew452a
Starting out

Post by Rew452a »

Note what I said in the post drives had SMART error not data errors. Data was fine.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well.. if you want such tool (and whatever drive ID qnap writes into JBOD/Pooled drives to match them) you would need to contact QNAP via ticket

This section is abandoned by QNAP (same as the forum in whole other than presales) .. they do not come here
Rew452a
Starting out

Post by Rew452a »

Wow did not realize that they are ignoring their customers like this.

Thanks will do.

Return to “Features Wanted”