The ideal QNAP device I would like.

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
thermalzombie
First post

The ideal QNAP device I would like.

Post by thermalzombie »

I would very much like a QNAP with the following features.

- 4 bay Nas (Preferably white)
- CPU compatible with Plex
- WiFi 6 integrated
- USB-C front port
- Rear Ethernet port and USB-A port
- Direct USB to PC support.
- Ability to turn off beep its annoying (perhaps a bright led instead or rgb)

I would very much like a Nas suited for running PLEX. I currently have a QNAP and only use if for backup I dislike how It beeps every time I turn it on. Also would have been good to be able to plug it into my pc via usb but ahve to plug in Ethernet each time.

Thanks for reading.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: The ideal QNAP device I would like.

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Most of the white nas are the low end ones. Usually NAS aren't like cars, where you get to pick the color variation (although would be kewl if that were an option). for techies, it is the lowest on our priorities (as long as it's not a strange unusual color)

cpu plex refer to here
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201373 ... lity-list/

Wifi 6 integration.... uh.... there is some nas models where you can purchase an addon card that supports wifi 6. But this is basically an additional part purchase, there is no all in one, unless you buy this extra addon, and that the nas model you get supports this particular addon.

not too sure which model has usb type c. check the qnap product page and select usb type c as an item of interest and it will filter which models have it.

they all have rear ethernet ports and usb type a. The question is are you fine with 1gbe? or do you want 2.5gbe? 5gbe? 10gbe ports?

i am not aware of plugging from a NAS to a PC via USB directly. This is not a normal use case. For connecting to a PC, you would use the ethernet port. But rather than connect an ethernet cable direct into a pc, people would connect it to a router instead. or better yet, a switch that is also connected to the desktop/laptop on the same network. My point is you don't buy a NAS then expect to plug it in direct to a client pc device using USB ......... the reason we get a nas is because of the ethernet connectivity for the network.

led flashes green when things are good, and red when things are bad. Not sure if you can control beeping, but i don't think it's a big issue.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I understand this users request. He wants an "appliance". He just wants to plug it in, and use it for his application. He does not care about features, expandability, etc. And it's got to look "cool". I see that on the Ubiquiti forums, where their products are white, and all these guys make a big deal about how their rack looks, with a white rack, white patch panels, and white cables. I really don't get it - no one cares - NO ONE. Not his friends, his spouse, his family, his dog. But they think it's cool. What do I know. I see lots of people on the editors Reddit forum that seem to get quite upset that they buy a QNAP or a Synology, and it does not behave like a thunderbolt drive. They don't want to read the manual, watch YouTube Videos, and learn the configuration. All they want to know is why can't they just plug it into their computer, and it just automatically mounts. So this gentlemen's request is common.
I think companies like Apple understand this mindset. They don't want to know anything about computers. They just want it to work. Apple got rich from doing exactly this.
Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

actually some of the ubiquiti wifi aps (nano hd??) had this skin add on. i think they look kewl as a deco, but would i pay extra for that? if it's a lot, probly not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXSGiEkAgkA

but in regards to qnap nas, you get whatever color is available for that nas line. like example, my ts-877 came with some of brown goldish hue color. whereas my ts-653a was black. but when i got them, i didn't get them based on the color, i got them based on the hardware specs first and foremost. these colors are fine in person to me. the only white color qnap nas i ever had were a ts-128 and a ts-228 both were white.

if i'm not mistaken, if you plugin a nas using usb to a desktop pc..... i don't think anything good would happen. i read some article about why that would be a bad idea, but i forgot what it was exactly.

but if you plugin an external usb storage to a QNAP NAS, that would work fine.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:49 pm Usually NAS aren't like cars, where you get to pick the color variation (although would be kewl if that were an option). for techies, it is the lowest on our priorities (as long as it's not a strange unusual color)
Yep, I don't care how something looks - as long as it works. Appearances have sweet F.A. to-do with performance and reliability.
Bob Zelin wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:53 pm I think companies like Apple understand this mindset. They don't want to know anything about computers. They just want it to work. Apple got rich from doing exactly this.
Exactly! Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Features Wanted”