Qfile - improved media playback control

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Storyline
Getting the hang of things

Qfile - improved media playback control

Post by Storyline »

The secondary use of my NAS (the main one being as storage/online access for crucial data such as photos, music & docs) is streaming audiobooks of which I have built a fairly comprehensive collection.

I use Qfile on a Hi-Res audio player or tablet to stream these books and in general it works very well - simple, fast and reliable. The one big drawback to me is that it is difficult to replay a small amount of dialogue should I need to repeat something that I could not hear properly. You can of course simply drag the playback slider forward or backwards but this is very crude and usually ends up as a hit or miss event.

There are two ways around this - one is to have the ability to jump forward or backward in small time chunks, typically 10 or 20 seconds as a result of tapping the screen on a bit of spare space either side of the play/pause control. YouTube offers this functionality and it is further enhanced by increasing the amount of time shifted with each tap - one for 10 seconds, two for 40, three for 60 etc. There are other apps that use a similar approach such as BBC Sounds.

The second method, most notably used by the VLC player, is being able to specify the point of play using hours/mins/secs. So if you need to repeat something quickly it just takes a moment to subtract say 10 or 20 secs from the current playback time and enter that. In addition to VLC there are several audiophile music players that have this functionality.

The Rolls Royce solution would be to have both features but if it would only be possible to have just one, my vote would be for the first above mentioned solution. It does not need to increase in time incrementally as Youtube does - a simple tap for a 10 second timeshift (which could then be repeated if required) would really enhance the UX of Qfile and make it near perfect for audiobook streaming.

TS453A
QTS 4.4.3
Slowly getting the hang of my TS-453A :)

Return to “Features Wanted”