QNAP replacement for iCloud Photos

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Highlander1694
New here

QNAP replacement for iCloud Photos

Post by Highlander1694 »

Hi,Apple devices can use iCloud Photos to store and share all photos with all your devices and family. The Qnap already has great photo sharing options.

What I am looking for is the automatic uploading of all Apple iOS device Photos (or Android) to QNAP, instead of iCloud for several reasons.

First off it insures prvacy:, Apple / the NSA and other departments have Access to photos of me, my family and my friends to do with as they wish. Apple now introducing some sort of automated search over my photos, in addition to PRISM, makes me believe the US will incrarse the misuse of my data without my permission even more than before!

Second price: I already have a great storage private system, why should I have to pay Apple money for cloud storage if I already have one?

Third: flexibility, I get to decide we're wise I might want to sore my photos.

I am not sure if this is possible, a review of present QNAP programs did not seem to present me with a viable option for this. P,ease advise if this is possible or if it is possible to add such a feature. I am sure many users would appreciate such a feature both for privacy and cost reasons!

Thank you for your attention.
Last edited by Highlander1694 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP replacement for iCloud Photos

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP NAS are often targeted by malware if exposed to the open web..so APPLE might not spy on you .. but bad guys might (or just encrypt them for ransom)

So if you want to upload photos to your NAS, only do it from within your home LAN or via VPN (server on router or dedicated appliance)
Highlander1694
New here

Post by Highlander1694 »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:49 pm..so APPLE might not spy on you ..

So if you want to upload photos to your NAS, only do it from within your home LAN or via VPN (server on router or dedicated appliance)
Ok, you are a well meaning amateur, thanks for your effort. I am a CISO of critical infrastructure that is regularly targeted by nation state hackers. This, admittedly, make me paranoid, but not without reason.

Unfortunately Apple does (sort of) spy on you and so does the government(s) and Network providers.That includes any unencrypted data that crosses the internet, and especially iCloud Photos.

The second suggestion is decent and strengthens my suggestion! Thank you! However to be honest I allow no / zero external access to my NAS.. also a VPN connection will not protect your NAS only the perhaps the point of Origen. Any external connection is hackable, if you want to protect your NAS allow 0 Access to your net. Instead mirror public data on an external cloud you Access.

Cheers.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well meaning amateur ? ... big talk eh ?

Having your NAS only available in your LAN is a good strategy, but that would not be a replacement for "Icloud" .. would it now ?

Your VPN sentiment makes no sense ... but I guess I am too amateur for your big brain thoughts
Highlander1694
New here

Post by Highlander1694 »

Sorry, had a mistake in my original post: do Not have Access to photos of me, my family and my friends to do with as they wish
Corrected: have Access to photos of me, my family and my friends to do with as they wish

Of course they do have access and PRISM insures the access to others.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

QuMagie/PhotoStation allow you from their device apps, to sync your photos without problems in real time if you want, each device can select the folders they wants to monitor and NAS location. Obviously if the NAS is connected to the Internet, the service is 24/7, if it is only in the local network, the devices will only be able to synchronize the content connected to the local network.

I have been testing since many months and it works quite well, it is not perfect, but as I have already said in other posts, in conjunction with DigiKam as an integral manager of the photos on my PC, I have totally solved any problem of "cloud", policy 3-2-1 backups, ease of sharing content to any family member (and occasionally others) with different levels of access ...
Highlander1694
New here

Post by Highlander1694 »

Theliel wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:17 pm QuMagie/PhotoStation allow you from their device apps, to sync your photos without problems in real time if you want, each device can select the folders they wants to monitor and NAS location.
Hi Theliel, thanks since sounds a bit like what I need. How do I get the iPhone to automatically upload the pictures to the NAS and perhaps automatically delete old ones to save space in the iPhone?
ve7tcc
Starting out

Post by ve7tcc »

Theliel wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:17 pm I have been testing since many months and it works quite well, it is not perfect, but as I have already said in other posts, in conjunction with DigiKam as an integral manager of the photos on my PC, I have totally solved any problem of "cloud", policy 3-2-1 backups, ease of sharing content to any family member (and occasionally others) with different levels of access ...
I’d like to learn more about your use of DigiKam. You run it on your PC?
Does it access photos from a share? How do you stop QNAP apps disturbing the photo files?
I have several tb of photos on macs. Time to migrate them…

Thanks in advance.
Model: TS-h973AX
FW: h4.5.4.1800

Return to “Features Wanted”