Priority shutdown on power event from UPS

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
CarbonPepper
Getting the hang of things

Priority shutdown on power event from UPS

Post by CarbonPepper »

With normal shutdown, the QNAP closes down apps and services one-by-one, and is very slow in doing so.

In a power event, the instruction from the UPS should initiate a priority shutdown, sacrificing apps for quicker shutdown. 1 minute max.

Reasoning:
On 18th Feb, storms here in the UK took out our power for 11 hours. The day after I discovered that the QNAP failed to shut down properly on instruction from the UPS, and I lost a disk as a result. So a replacement is rebuilding the RAID right now. This has happened twice before. Once I was around and could intervene via ssh, but the other time I had bad sectors.

With a runtime of 30 mins, I have the QNAP set to shut down in 5 minutes. It will then take another 5 to 10 minutes to close all the apps and shut down. So 10 minutes , but I would prefer a 1 min shutdown which means the hardware is off in 6mins. I don't care about the apps when my data is at risk from HDD crash.

Some might suggest that this feature isn't needed because you can just buy a bigger UPS, but recharge time is more important that runtime. Most small office UPS will take more than a working day to recharge, so if you get more than one power outage (very common in rural locations), the UPS will deplete sharply.
"If QNAP made airbags, they’d test new versions using your face."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------__
TVS-471 with 4x WD Red 3Tb. Used for business. Stability valued over features.
Mix of clients: Ubuntu Linux, Mac OS, Windows 10.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Priority shutdown on power event from UPS

Post by dolbyman »

What makes you think the most important thing (unmounting the file system) would work without shutting down all services first?

But as always, QNAP does not come here..so all in vain unless you contact QNAP via ticket
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

As you have seen, the user configurable options in relation to a UPS are very limited.

There may be a way running NUt or some other utility, perhaps in a container, that runs a script with a "kill -9" code loop, but I'm really just guessing.

Just killing processes though would likely lead to a whole bunch of issues on restart.

Best practice with what we have currently, I would think, is to minimize the number of applications you actually use and perhaps reevaluate the ones you do run by running a manual shutdown to try and see which are "slow". My units shut down within 2-3minutes of issuing the command, iirc. They take about 10+ to start up though.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Skwor
Know my way around

Post by Skwor »

This is why I set my power down to 1/2 the time the UPS shows it can run. Basically ensuring there is time to always shut down my NAS. Imperfect solution but better then risking any corrupted files.
NAS:
TS-453Be
2-4 Gig QNAP ram sticks
1x12 TB Seagate Iron Wolf and 3x12 TB Seagate Exos
Mainly used as a Plex Server and Photo manager (QuMagie is actually pretty good)

WD 12 TB Elements for each hard drive - External HD BU to the NAS movie database and Photos
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

thread closed

QNAP does not monitor these forums for requests:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=161411
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “Features Wanted”