eSATA One Touch Copy

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
P3R
Guru

Re: eSATA One Touch Copy

Post by P3R »

ili wrote:5 years later...
So can you add this option?
Don is correct of course but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

I was a eSATA fan as well 5 years ago as it was faster than USB 3 but today I'd say that it's dying away.

I can't remember a new NAS model supporting eSATA for years and to me it's clear that USB and Thunderbolt have made eSATA obsolete today.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ili
Starting out

Post by ili »

P3R wrote:
ili wrote:5 years later...
So can you add this option?
Don is correct of course but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

I was a eSATA fan as well 5 years ago as it was faster than USB 3 but today I'd say that it's dying away.

I can't remember a new NAS model supporting eSATA for years and to me it's clear that USB and Thunderbolt have made eSATA obsolete today.
Yes I know, eSATA has been replaced long ago by USB 3, even normal SATA is showing signs of starting to be replaced by PCIe/NVMe/M.2.
The only reason I use eSATA is that my NAS is old and only have USB 2.0 and eSATA...
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ili wrote:The only reason I use eSATA is that my NAS is old and only have USB 2.0 and eSATA...
Well if you still have the TS-412, the last firmware for it is 4.3.3 so it won't receive any new features at all. The absolute best you can hope for now are security and bug fixes.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Features Wanted”