Subinterface support with Vlan's

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
mmoxnes
Starting out

Re: Subinterface support with Vlan's

Post by mmoxnes »

since this issue is something a lot of us are requesting, and since Qnap obviosly have a problem understanding the need for this, maybe some smart scripthacker can make a qpkg that supports this function With a simple gui, I Guess that most People needing this functionality doesnt need a fancy GUI, we only need a simple way of assigning subinterfaces to either a trunk or several individual Interfaces. probably should make an option to disable the network setting in the main configuration
QNAP -TVS-EC880 + REXP-1000 Pro
Qnap TS 809
QNap TS 869
Zac67
New here

Post by Zac67 »

Since QNAP is apparently unwilling to include decent VLAN support we're seriously looking into leaving the supported paths (with all the woes) or replacing the otherwise unfailing hardware (some TS439 and TS469) with something based on FreeNAS or OMV.

Has anyone used Joffer's QPKG hack for an extended time (across firmware updates etc.) and can recommend it?
http://joffer.blogspot.de/2014/06/how-t ... ap_26.html
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

QNAP promies to include comprehebsive VLAN interface support for QTS 4.3.0. Please don't ask - I have no idea about the schedule - but hope for Computex 2016.
mmoxnes
Starting out

Post by mmoxnes »

☺ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺
That's realy good news.
Thanks for the update
Qnap TS 809
QNap TS 869
mmoxnes
Starting out

Post by mmoxnes »

is there any news about this, as far as I can see there is now not longer beta for 4.3, but an acual release, still I cant see VLAN mentioned anywhere, and in network its the same old as far as I can see
Qnap TS 809
QNap TS 869
Zigma
Starting out

Post by Zigma »

From the release document on QTS 4.3, QNAP are still talking about Port Trunking, when in fact they mean Link Aggregation...

It still doesn't look like they support Port Trunking (VLANs) from the GUI.

Not sure if anyone has tried this with success: (except the guy writing the guide, of course :))
http://joffer.blogspot.dk/2014/06/how-t ... ap_26.html
Gear: QNAP TS-259 Pro+ with upgraded 2GB 667MHz memory.
Running QMineCraft with ease :)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Zigma wrote:From the release document on QTS 4.3, QNAP are still talking about Port Trunking, when in fact they mean Link Aggregation...
Port Trunking, Link Aggregation, LAG, Bonding are different names for the very same - different vendors, different operating systems, ... making a logical interface.

When it comes to we have vendors making use of the terms VLAN trunking, Ethernet trunking for carrying multiple VLANs (typically 802.1q tagged) through a single physical or a logical network link. These substituted the proprietary Virtual LAN Trunk or Inter-Switch Link for example.

More wordings and naming might exist - these are the most common ones coming into my mind.
mmoxnes
Starting out

Post by mmoxnes »

Then it is the big question is there a person with enough scripting knowledge that manage to use the info from the link provided by zigma snd puzzle together a Web interface for making vlan easy on qnap since it seams like qnap had abandoned the multiple vlan on one port og a bundle of ports
Qnap TS 809
QNap TS 869
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The draft on Joffer's Blogspot could be easy to implement on a legacy NAS. Cumbersome, with the new Networking & Virtual Switch things would be much more complicated. The feature request is sill in the pipeline...
Zac67
New here

Post by Zac67 »

"The feature request is still in the pipeline..." - that's one really loong pipeline, it's been six years and counting. I wouldn't hold my breath, QNAP either doesn't understand what VLAN trunking is or they don't understand why we need it. Anyway, we've realized our last project with FreeNAS and while it has it's own specifics, it's working fine. Still looking for the perfect hardware platform though.

Any chance for VLAN trunks to surface in this decade yet?
siwy417
Starting out

Post by siwy417 »

Another release, another month and still no support?
harx0rwax0r
New here

Post by harx0rwax0r »

Computex 2016 has come and gone. Computex 2017 has come and gone. QTS 4.3.0 has come and gone. Here we are on QTS 4.3.3.0361 build 20171101 and still no support for this. So lame. What a joke.
Crusnik01
Starting out

Post by Crusnik01 »

I just don't understand how they can offer "Enterprise level" products, and not have this in place?! Being able to tag an interface with a single VLAN tag makes no sense, at least not in my head...

I mean, if we can CLI hack it / script it, then for the love of God, you can implement it in the freaking GUI, Qnap.. How hard can it be to execute a few commands, and just make sure that they persist upon reboot...?

Not exactly rocket science, everything you need is already in the OS...
mmoxnes
Starting out

Post by mmoxnes »

Just a fun fact. Qnap had a pressrelease about pfsense from netgate. They will support using the qnap virtual station to run a firewall appliance. And still they haven solved the vlan issue. My pfsense that I have now has 15 vlan and without vlan support it can't be run on qnap
Qnap TS 809
QNap TS 869
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mmoxnes wrote:Qnap had a pressrelease about pfsense from netgate. They will support using the qnap virtual station to run a firewall appliance.
But if we're honest, it was clearly not marketed as a main firewall solution but only intended for additional protection of the NAS itself:
"The joint solution – comprised of a full-featured intrusion prevention system through pfSense, and the virtual switch available via QNAP’s QTS NAS system – enables fast and easy internal firewall deployment that safeguards applications running on the NAS."

Let's hope that long term, the announcement will finally lead to a usable vlan implementation in Qnaps though. Or it may not, as using pfSense as a perimeter firewall in Qnaps may cannibalize on Netgate hardware sales... :S
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Features Wanted”