exFAT support for external drives

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
darrenmathews
New here
Model: TS-239 Pro

exFAT support for external drives

Postby darrenmathews » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 am

Would very much like you to include exFAT support for external usb drives.

fantomas
Experience counts
Model: TS-419P+

Re: exFAT support for external drives

Postby fantomas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:52 am

exFAT is patent-pending technology, so I doubt it will be ever supported ...
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...

igel2805
New here
Model: TS-401T

Postby igel2805 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 pm

more than one year ago! ExFat? Now Supported or a future feature?

schumaku
Guru
Model: TS-x79U

Postby schumaku » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 pm

AS the previous poster correctly mentioned: exFAT is a proprietary file system, patent pending, owned by Microsoft.

There is no reasonable open source implementation (due to the licensing), which can be integrated into Linux in general.

There are some 3rd-party implementations available - which cost reasonable $$$. All for a very niche application?

Where is the effective use on a NAS?

igel2805
New here
Model: TS-401T

Postby igel2805 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi schumaku!

thanks for your response, can you give me an alternative to exfat where i am able to use an external drive for OSX, Windows and Linux (QNAP) in read write mode?

BR Martin

fantomas
Experience counts
Model: TS-419P+

Postby fantomas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 am

well, sure not for linux - if there was support on linux, it would most probably) be on QNAP too.
experience with administration of UN*X (mostly linux) and applications on internet servers since 1994...

LarsN
Experience counts
Model: None

Postby LarsN » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm

This has already been added to the feature request list via a different thread and it's being discussed internally. The only issue here is that exFAT isn't free, so QNAP would have to license support from Microsoft for it to be possible to implement support.
However, as more and more devices are starting to support exFAT, it's something that would have to be supported sooner or later.

beneix
Getting the hang of things
Model: TS-119/219

Postby beneix » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:29 pm

+1

This would be very useful. I am not a programmer, nor a copyright expert, but there seem to be some Linux-oriented solutions out there:

How to enable exFAT in Ubuntu
Free exFAT file system implementation on Google Code

Would not these point to a way of implementing this on QNAP without the need to pay Microsoft?
TS-119 QTS4.1.2 Build 0126 | Seagate ST4000VN000 4TB

LarsN
Experience counts
Model: None

Postby LarsN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Regardless if it's a free implementation, we'd have to pay a license fee to Microsoft for using it.

schumaku
Guru

Postby schumaku » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:33 pm

It's not the exFAT code that is copyrighted - it's the on-disk structure...

nalor
New here
Model: TS-409U

Postby nalor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 am

+1

Would like to see exFAT support!

pwilson
Guru
Model: TS-x70 Pro

Postby pwilson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:25 am

schumaku wrote:It's not the exFAT code that is copyrighted - it's the on-disk structure...

I'm sure QNAP could pay the $600,000.00USD Licence Fee to Paragon Software Group for QNAP SmartPhone Apps, and the "per-device" licence fee for every QNAP NAS device produced if they wanted to. Of course Mac and Linux QNAP owners would get pretty upset that the retail price of a QNAP NAS has to increase to pay for this. Check out Wikipedia article: ExFAT.

IMHO, ExFAT support should only be provided for End-Users willing to pay for it. I personally have no desire to pay such licence fees either directly or indirectly, so I hope that this functionality is never added to the QNAP Firmware. End-Users that want support for ExFAT can always migrate to Microsoft Server solutions if they favour using expensive closed-source software.

ExFAT is great for people willing to actually "pay" for it, but I'd prefer to never pay for it, so I'm quite happy to live without it.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

mlynchit
Know my way around
Model: TS-239 Pro

Postby mlynchit » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 pm

LarsN wrote:Regardless if it's a free implementation, we'd have to pay a license fee to Microsoft for using it.

Wouldn't the same logic apply to NTFS?

mysteryliner
Starting out
Model: TS-109/209 Pro II

Postby mysteryliner » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:00 pm

@igel2805 asked for any sort of alternative.
"I hope that this functionality is never added to the QNAP Firmware, and anyone who wants exfat support can just migrate to microsoft servers"

wow, nice! :S so basically someone asked for help with an issue they had, and for which he could only see exfat as a working solution.
and the advice was basically f**k off and buy a windows server! :ashamed:

Well.... I have the same question. i don't care for any particular filesystem. exfat, NTFS, EXT, HFS

...All i care about is results/ workability !

We work with windows computers and laptops, and macbook pro's. and all we want is when people are out, they can save their work on an external USB drive, then have someone else continue working on it. (cross platform OSX to win 8)
...When it's finished, move it to the NAS and keep it centralized so everyone can access it.

Since a lot of files are bigger than 4GB, the only option i know of is exfat.

So... if there is a solution to get it working, or via SSH codes, or another file format that is supported by both win, mac and the NAS ,
i'd appreciate it if someone shared info about it.

schumaku
Guru

Postby schumaku » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 pm

mysteryliner wrote:...All i care about is results/ workability !
So why not simply using the NAS for what it's intended, storing and accessing the data there instead of using an **/Puma/**/Timberlands network?

As the mountain does not move to the prophet - move the prophet (read OS X) to the mountain use NTFS using a 3rd party solution?

Or what about the last user moving the data from the USB device to the NAS over the network? The N in NAS means Network - not aNydisk server.

Yes, I would appreciate QNAP would make a license deal with Microsoft - not only for the NAS, but also for QGenie, where many usage case would require performant exFAT access.

What about say a US$ 10 one-off fee per QNAP device to back an exFAT license?

PS. Patrick, neither Paragon nor Tuxera does issue the activation code for exFAT if the requester does not have a license agreement with Microsoft.

Return to “Features Wanted”