exFAT support for external drives

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
P3R
Guru

Re: exFAT support for external drives

Post by P3R »

Unless you have a system that uses exFAT (where you can format your disk), why would you buy this in the first place?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

schumaku wrote:
AcerTravel wrote:Ok, I see... for me in my case, it's a waste of money.....
Because it does not offer formatting ... how many times are you formatting external storage?
I agree, i don't understand where's the problem. Once formatted you can use the disk as long as you want....
AcerTravel
Know my way around

Post by AcerTravel »

Benna80 wrote:
schumaku wrote:
AcerTravel wrote:Ok, I see... for me in my case, it's a waste of money.....
Because it does not offer formatting ... how many times are you formatting external storage?
I agree, i don't understand where's the problem. Once formatted you can use the disk as long as you want....
Simple,
Because I don't have the need to use this format.....
I would currently buy, if in addition to being able to read, I could also format external drives.
Of course my needs, aren't the same of other users.
And Schumaku responding to your statement : "how many times are you formatting external storage?" For me, it makes no sense not to allow formatting, especially on some servers that have card reader.
But it's my opinion.....
Regards,
Jorge.
TS-212
TS-453PRO 8GB + UX-500P
TS-453A 8GB + UX-800P
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

Probably this is something that will come in the near future (i'm talking about the ability to format in exFAt File System.
At the moment i've formatted my external drive in exFAT with Windows 10 and now i'm copying on it all my nas content and well, the transfer speed is very fast.
At the moment for just 3,8€ i'm happy enough about this, but i agree with you everyone has it's own needs that may differ from other users
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

schumaku wrote:So why not simply using the NAS for what it's intended, storing and accessing the data there instead of using an **/Puma/**/Timberlands network?
A what network ? :S .. that word censorship bot is going crazy

I only have NIK3 AIRMAX cheap cheap V1agr4 networks :mrgreen:

my bad .. that was an old post(April 2015) .. that is still funny though

direct link to the post

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50027#p477406
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Ad1das Network

This is eject whatever media, take it carrying it, walk to the other end of the building, and plug it in there again.
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

The point with lacking support for exFAT might be Linux itself (i.e. Fuse), not QNAP.
With Windows I use widely recommended SDFormatter.
In general I prefer to format flash memory with the appliance which then records data onto that memory card (photo camera, scanner, voice recorder, TV tuner, etc.).
The point might be lack of quick / full / erase format options with cameras etc.
Partitioning is another issue.

-----
Benna80 wrote:Probably this is something that will come in the near future (I'm talking about the ability to format in exFAT File System). At the moment i've formatted my external drive in exFAT with Windows 10

Return to “Features Wanted”