Two-way sync

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Two-way sync

Post by schumaku »

bugyou2 wrote:2-way sync? Is this the same on how Microsoft Synctoy works?
Most likely yes. The idea is coming from a highly simplified user scenario: Now I'm with NAS1, store a file, go to a different location, open the file from NAS2, continue working on the file, store it, and drive back to NAS1. About the same what most users do with Google Drive or Apple iCloud. That's about the only two-way sync that might work. Reality is different: What-if the file is accesses at two (or more) NAS, and updated? The reality is much more complex - making a universal two-way sync simply impossible.
geva

Post by geva »

SyncToy is 2-way, however it uses a series of files contained in each folder to be able to track and understand if a file has been renamed or deleted for example.

I have not used Unison, but it would certainly not work the same way as SyncToy. The idea of 2-way sync is the same however.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

geva wrote:SyncToy is 2-way, however it uses a series of files contained in each folder to be able to track and understand if a file has been renamed or deleted for example.
That's what I say: Complete useless if files are potentially changing on both ends - the file with the newer revision data will be synched. Feasible for certain simple scenarios only.

Borrowed from the Unison File Sync web page
Updates that do not conflict are propagated automatically. Conflicting updates are detected and displayed.
So this is a file admin task to be done .... but then, how would you deal with it if things are changing on both sides? Start to create forks of each document probably?

If a two-way sync would be that easy - why do distributed software development teams still use centralized repositories?!?

Worth mentioning a new thread "Has RTRR deleted all my files?" ...
swinster
New here

Post by swinster »

came across this Google cached page (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a) where QNAPLars indicated a firmware update from QNAP might bring this functionality.

I too am looking for this and have posted in the Presales forum
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

swinster
New here

Post by swinster »

Cheers - did manage to find it after the post.
Pique
First post

Post by Pique »

Excuse me for being a complete newb here. I am not a tech or do anything to manage the system, but I am trying to research some information.

My company uses QNAP NAS. We have two separate offices at different locations and we would like to have the 2 way syncing as discussed here.
However, it seems to be a huge wish, but not fulfilled.
Our NAS systems have been upgraded to the latest software as of April 2014.

In trolling through sites on this subject I came across the following:
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/introduction
under their 'Syncronisation' content they appear to be able to fulfil the 2 way sync requirement.
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_synchronize

My question is - can this software / programming be implemented or installed to operate on a QNAP / Turbo NAS system?

Sorry also if this has been suggested or commented on somewhere else.

Regards
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Pique wrote:My company uses QNAP NAS. We have two separate offices at different locations and we would like to have the 2 way syncing as discussed here.
Of course it is...
Pique wrote:Our NAS systems have been upgraded to the latest software as of April 2014.
There is never a latest software. That would be in version and build number please?

QTS 4.1 does support two-way sync using RRTR (reference: the fine documentation QNAP Applications -> Backup Station
RTRR

Real-time Remote Replication (RTRR) provides real-time or scheduled data replication and one-way and two-way data synchronization between two locations (such as local NAS and a remote NAS, local NAS and an FTP server, or local NAS and an external drive, or replication between two local folders.) In real-time mode, the source folder will be monitored and any files that are new, changed, and renamed will be replicated to the target folder immediately. In scheduled mode, the source folder will be replicated to the target folder according to the pre-defined schedule.

One way synchronization refers to data synchronization from the source to the destination, while two-way synchronization means both the source and destination are synchronized after new files are copied in either side or files stored on either side are changed or deleted.
This is exactly what happens - mechanically, hard coded, without taking care about one office working late preparing a large paperwork for the next bid, write the file - and somebody else having the same document open (without changes) at the other office (without all the hard work yet) and clicks on save file.
Pique wrote:In trolling through sites on this subject I came across the following: ... under their 'Syncronisation' content they appear to be able to fulfil the 2 way sync requirement.
Same there - any file change on one end will overwrite the file.

Deploy it - but no whining please - you had been warned.

Regards
-Kurt.
johnripper
Experience counts

Re: AW: Two-way sync

Post by johnripper »

schumaku wrote:
Pique wrote:My company uses QNAP NAS. We have two separate offices at different locations and we would like to have the 2 way syncing as discussed here.
Of course it is...
Very unfair reply unless QTS 4.1 is still not offically released (GA).

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300
grobylev
Easy as a breeze

Post by grobylev »

Yes, I totally agree that it's dangerous to use with the current implementation. The solution could be some kind of locking (as a minimum, real-time detection of file use coupled with immediate remote locking) /version control IMHO, but I haven't seen any on NAS devices until now.
QNAP TS-459Pro II 4x2TB in RAID5 3GB RAM | Trunking: IEEE 802.3ad on Cisco SG200-08 | protected by APC SMT1500I with AP9631
QPKGs: Optware, JRE, Python, CrashPlan, Squid, Transmission | Router: Linksys E3000 | FW: DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

grobylev wrote:Yes, I totally agree that it's dangerous to use with the current implementation. The solution could be some kind of locking (as a minimum, real-time detection of file use coupled with immediate remote locking) /version control IMHO, but I haven't seen any on NAS devices until now.
And how should this work with different clients, different access protocols, and even more different applications? Considering not even "big" Microsoft can deal with this apparently "simple" problem when using Windows and OS X Microsoft Office (even when both make use of SMB).

One more reasons most cloud storage solutions can't deal with this either - so it's not "just" a NAS issue.

There are reasons why big (and smaller) corporate IT does implement collaboration systems and the like, i.e. XXX, YYY, or ZZZ - permitting sharing information, locking, versioning, ...
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

johnripper wrote:Very unfair reply unless QTS 4.1 is still not offically released (GA).
Nothing unfair - I've stated clearly that the feature is not available before:
schumaku wrote:QTS 4.1 does support two-way sync using RRTR (reference: the fine documentation QNAP Applications -> Backup Station
Pretty unfair to pick one sentence out of the context and blame me, isn't it?

If somebody does need a feature, there is nothing wrong to jump on the release candidate in my opinion.

Fairness is to tell the people that the two-way sync works - and how it works. Can't wait to hear "I've lost xxx hours of work because of somebody on the other end has stored an older file and my work disappeared."
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

schumaku wrote:Fairness is to tell the people that the two-way sync works - and how it works. Can't wait to hear "I've lost xxx hours of work because of somebody on the other end has stored an older file and my work disappeared."
I can't wait for this either. :roll: :-0 :shock:
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

schumaku wrote:
schumaku wrote:QTS 4.1 does support two-way sync using RRTR (reference: the fine documentation QNAP Applications -> Backup Station
Pretty unfair to pick one sentence out of the context and blame me, isn't it?
So this wouldnt be okay if you do it? Then review your post!
schumaku wrote: If somebody does need a feature, there is nothing wrong to jump on the release candidate in my opinion.
But not easy to find. So need to blame someone for not looking a not GA relase.
schumaku wrote: Fairness is to tell the people that the two-way sync works - and how it works. Can't wait to hear "I've lost xxx hours of work because of somebody on the other end has stored an older file and my work disappeared."
Fairness would be to present the feature with its advantages and disadvantages.
Missing the usage szenarios here.

johnripper
Experience counts

Post by johnripper »

grobylev wrote:Yes, I totally agree that it's dangerous to use with the current implementation. The solution could be some kind of locking (as a minimum, real-time detection of file use coupled with immediate remote locking) /version control IMHO, but I haven't seen any on NAS devices until now.
I tested the feature.
There is an option to dublicate the file when it was changed on both sides at the same time, but this didnt work in my szenario.

Real time locking would be nice, I suggested this a while ago.

Return to “Features Wanted”