Decent Mail Server QPKG

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
DamoUK
Starting out

Decent Mail Server QPKG

Post by DamoUK »

@QNAPLars or any other QNAP employee

It seems like all support for a decent mail server has been abandoned (I do not include XMail in this, as it's not decent without the additional packages). XDove seems to have been abandoned for some time, despite your press release from a few years ago promoting it, and it's not even downloadable from the forums any more, the links just giving errors. Having my own mail server for my home was one of the main reasons I bought a NAS from you after reading that press release, yet I've never really got it working as I wanted, as it didn't have activesync or push mail. It also sounds like it's been broken by 3.8.1 anyway!

In fact, the community is working on Zarafa, which looks like it has real potential, but I frankly don't have the skill or desire to do all the configuration and management for my family's e-mail accounts through command prompts, so I've not even approached this one - I'm also nervous about committing all my mail accounts to an unsupported piece of software.

So my question is this, is there a plan to re-introduce a decent mail server (that will work on ARM servers)? Will this be part of version 4? If not, do you plan on investing any time to get any kind of mail server actually working, can you revisit XDove or something similar?
rinthos
Been there, done that

Re: Decent Mail Server QPKG

Post by rinthos »

Just an FYI, ARM systems aren't the greatest choices for Mail Servers...at least in their current state, wait til more RAM and more powerful ARM cpus are on the market.

That said, for x86 the Xeams system is also available.
And as for XMail, I believe it's the latest version in the QNAP QPKG (shocking, but apparantly so). Again the QNAP ARM-based systems aren't the best mail-server solutions. If your primary purpose is to run a mail-server, either go to the cloud and run something, or get a more powerful system.

ARM-based systems are great for testing it out, or for very low-volume, but it takes resources away from other processes and really hurts performance on the low-end NAS systems.

Just my 2 cents.
DamoUK
Starting out

Post by DamoUK »

I just want a mail server for my family, with 3-4 accounts that can be managed by the server, with the bulk of the mail being accessed from Tablets or Phones. An ARM NAS should be able to handle that. And the crux of the issue for me is being able to push the mail to the devices without it moving it off the server (basically I want activesync behaviour!). I know there are other alternatives, but this is what I want to do - and should be able to do with the NAS - Oh, and it will allow me to use my own Domain Name! (FWIW, Synology NAS's have this built into their Firmware)!
rinthos
Been there, done that

Post by rinthos »

Ahhh should be fine for 3-4 mailboxes, true :)

Well if still looking for XDove i believe you can find the ARM qpkg in post # 450 on this thread.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... &start=450

---
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Hm, Xdove is a p.i.t.b., barely maintained,, compatibility issues, in some areas hard to set-up, and (like several packets) not workable with Advanced Folder Permissions (ACL) in place by click-and-play.
fedoralinux
Easy as a breeze

Post by fedoralinux »

schumaku wrote:Hm, Xdove is a p.i.t.b., barely maintained,, compatibility issues, in some areas hard to set-up, and (like several packets) not workable with Advanced Folder Permissions (ACL) in place by click-and-play.
i do nut subscribe this
i had installed and configured xdove within 10 minutes.
works like a charm in office 2013 for example

i find it a very easy, clean mailserver
PC: dell laptop running Fedora 18
wd tv live as network mediaplayer

FREE cloudstorage on dropbox
dropbox
fedoralinux
Easy as a breeze

Post by fedoralinux »

DamoUK wrote:I just want a mail server for my family, with 3-4 accounts that can be managed by the server, with the bulk of the mail being accessed from Tablets or Phones. An ARM NAS should be able to handle that. And the crux of the issue for me is being able to push the mail to the devices without it moving it off the server (basically I want activesync behaviour!). I know there are other alternatives, but this is what I want to do - and should be able to do with the NAS - Oh, and it will allow me to use my own Domain Name! (FWIW, Synology NAS's have this built into their Firmware)!
xdove will do it for you

i have installed xdove on a TS-119P II 2.0Ghz 512 MB mem qnap nas, and it works smoothly
PC: dell laptop running Fedora 18
wd tv live as network mediaplayer

FREE cloudstorage on dropbox
dropbox
DamoUK
Starting out

Post by DamoUK »

Ultimately, my point was a question in an attempt to find out whether to wait for firmware 4.0, as it sounds like they're making massive improvements. As its on the cards for the next few months, I don't want to install XDove, only to then have to start from scratch again if they've included a mail server with the new firmware - more and more, all NAS providers are replicating each others features to ensure competitiveness, so figured there's a strong chance this could be included! More importantly, XDove is now out of date, and unsupported!
rinthos
Been there, done that

Post by rinthos »

DamoUK wrote:Ultimately, my point was a question in an attempt to find out whether to wait for firmware 4.0, as it sounds like they're making massive improvements. As its on the cards for the next few months, I don't want to install XDove, only to then have to start from scratch again if they've included a mail server with the new firmware - more and more, all NAS providers are replicating each others features to ensure competitiveness, so figured there's a strong chance this could be included! More importantly, XDove is now out of date, and unsupported!
While I don't have any 'secret' information, the trend with QNAP (and other SOHO and SMB NAS providers for that matter) has actually been to separate out functions into apps/packages (such as QPKGs). Note that MusicStation and PhotoStation updates were recently externalized into QPKGs. Just something to be aware of.

---
johnson407
Easy as a breeze

Post by johnson407 »

it's not easy to maintain a mail-server. it requires ongoing efforts and extensive knowledge to fight off bad people trying to do bad things with your mail-server. I'd stick with gmail for all your emailing needs.
LarsN
Experience counts

Post by LarsN »

Added to feature request list
DamoUK
Starting out

Post by DamoUK »

QNAPLars wrote:Added to feature request list
Thank you
Johnster
New here

Post by Johnster »

Thanks for adding this feature to the request list.

Hopefully an interface can be developed similar to the OpenVPN implementation. Allowing for users of a NAS to be assigned an internal email address.
jmccabe
Starting out

Post by jmccabe »

I'd like to second this request; there were two reasons I bought a NAS; as a media server and an email server. I spent a while installing XDove etc to fetch mail from my ISPs POP3 server and serve it to me and my family through IMAP but found that this prevented the disks from spinning down which, to some extent, defeated the point of getting a NAS. I don't get much email so was expecting to set it up just to fetch from the ISP every 15 minutes or so, which should have left the disks plenty of time to spin down.

If anyone else has XDove running on a TS-212 or similar, fetching mail from POP3, while still getting the disks spinning down I'd appreciate any help you can give to get mine to do that!

Thanks
John
nutellapr
New here

Post by nutellapr »

I'm very disappointed is well. I'm not sure how this NAS is even viable for small businesses compared to Synology who do have a good built in email server with built in spam controls. QNAP need to step up their game.

Return to “Features Wanted”