Turn off thumbnail generation in Filestation

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Tartifless
New here

Re: Turn off thumbnail generation in Filestation

Post by Tartifless »

Hi,

I received an email from QNAP France support with the link for the HS-210 firmware:
http://eu1.qnap.com/Storage/HS-210Turbo ... -4.1.2.zip

They told me it is now implemented with this release.

Regards,
Ben
pinksteady
Starting out

Post by pinksteady »

I installed v4.1.2 build 1229 on my TS-212, which is meant to include the option to disable thumbnail generation, but I can't find the option for it. In the File Station settings there is a new option called "Allow all users to create shared links" which is also mentioned in the release notes, but nothing regarding thumbnails.

I downloaded it from here: http://www.qnap.com/i/uk/product_x_down ... pe=2&II=10

The release notes state:

[File Station]
- Adds the thumbnail generation option to File Station.

Has anyone else tried this firmware? Does anyone know if the option is missing or if it is located somewhere else?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pinksteady wrote:I installed v4.1.2 build 1229 on my TS-212, which is meant to include the option to disable thumbnail generation, but I can't find the option for it. In the File Station settings there is a new option called "Allow all users to create shared links" which is also mentioned in the release notes, but nothing regarding thumbnails.
QTS_4.1.2_FileStation_Options.JPG

This does exist on the 4.1.2 20141229/20141231 builds, including the TS-212 here.

Potentially an incomplete update - consider to run the manual update from the shell -> http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Manually_Updating_Firmware
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pinksteady
Starting out

Post by pinksteady »

Thanks... weird. I'll try your suggestion and see if that fixes it, thanks.
quantumhole
New here

Post by quantumhole »

FINALLY!!!

It only took QNAP over 16 months since I started this thread and numerous FW updates in between for them to implement what should have been a fairly easy fix to disable thumb nail generation in File Station even when you have all the other "stations" turned off including everything related to the media library turned off. It's about d@%n time. I generally do file management via SAMBA from my Windows PC, but there are times where having a quick file manger like File Station is useful, like when you want to move a bunch of data to/from an attached to the QNAP external HD and don't want to tie up your PC just to move files. My temporary solution to the thumbnail generation had been to NEVER descend into a directory with media files. The thumbnail generation would only kick in if there where media files in the directory you go into. So if you never went into a directory with media files you would never fire off the thumb nail generation process.

I just installed the new FW, 4.1.2 20141229, went to the options for File Station and unchecked thumbnail generation, then navigated into a bunch of music and video directories and NO THUMBNAIL GENERATION. The QNAP never bogged down like before and I could pop around between all sorts of different directories and no thumbnail generations.

So the thumbnail generation appears to be "killed" when you uncheck the thumb nail generation option. It is ON by default. So if you don't want thumbnails, launch File Station immediately after updating to FW 4.1.2 20141229 and uncheck the option in the options panel.
iwampy
New here

Post by iwampy »

pinksteady wrote:I installed v4.1.2 build 1229 on my TS-212, which is meant to include the option to disable thumbnail generation, but I can't find the option for it. In the File Station settings there is a new option called "Allow all users to create shared links" which is also mentioned in the release notes, but nothing regarding thumbnails.
I installed the v4.1.2 Build 1229 on my TS-419P+ and have the same problem like pinksteady! The option in the Filemanager is missing.
qnap_4.1.2_thumbnailoption_missing.png
I've tried the solution from schumaku and do the update from the shell again. But the option in the Filemanager is still missing :(

Any other suggestions?

------------------------------
Edit:
OK my failure. I've logged in as "admin" and there is the option. But when I logged in as an user, who is in the "administrators" group the option is not displayed :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Maybe worth Submitting a ticket to this anomaly. if you are an Administrator, you should see the same as "admin"
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
quantumhole
New here

Post by quantumhole »

iwampy wrote:
"Edit:
OK my failure. I've logged in as "admin" and there is the option. But when I logged in as an user, who is in the "administrators" group the option is not displayed"

Kudos to iwampy for finding you must be logged in as "admin" for the option to appear. I agree with Toxic17, if you are part of the Administrator group you should still see the option, so I wouldn't say it was iwampy's failure for not finding it initially, it's QNAP's failure for not implementing it properly. Still, it's a minor issue if you know about it. I always log in as admin locally so I didn't run into that last night (thankfully).

But thanks for finding that iwampy, everyone who wants to turn the d@%n thumbnail generation off take note of that and log in as admin to turn it off.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

quantumhole wrote:iwampy wrote:
"Edit:
OK my failure. I've logged in as "admin" and there is the option. But when I logged in as an user, who is in the "administrators" group the option is not displayed"

Kudos to iwampy for finding you must be logged in as "admin" for the option to appear. I agree with Toxic17, if you are part of the Administrator group you should still see the option, so I wouldn't say it was iwampy's failure for not finding it initially, it's QNAP's failure for not implementing it properly. Still, it's a minor issue if you know about it. I always log in as admin locally so I didn't run into that last night (thankfully).

But thanks for finding that iwampy, everyone who wants to turn the d@%n thumbnail generation off take note of that and log in as admin to turn it off.
Not everyone. I'm happy to have it enabled here. (This said, your comments that should have been an "option" all along are quite correct, similarly your observation that all members of the "administrators" group should be able to toggle this "option" is also 100% correct).

Our NAS devices should be Network Attached Storage devices first, and media servers second. Not all QNAP owners want to implement all options. This change is indeed long overdue, and this long thread proves this point.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
iwampy
New here

Post by iwampy »

Hi,
here is the answer from the qnap help desk. Only the admin can control the thumbnail creation option :shock:
Only admin can change such setting.
Other user even it's in administrator still can't change.

Regards
-Joey
pinksteady
Starting out

Post by pinksteady »

Thanks for the info guys - I logged in as admin and the option was available to me. I unticked it, logged back in as my normal (also admin) user and no more thumbnails. Bit of a strange implementation - why can't users decide for themselves whether they want to see thumbnails rather than it being a system-wide setting? And why can only the admin account, rather than and admin user, set this? Anyway, this is now resolved for me.
Peori
First post

Post by Peori »

Fantastic! Thought I'd check again about this issue and here it is finally sorted. No wonder I didn't find the option after firmware updates as I never log in as admin if I can help it.
This issue was killing performance for me, not to mention it working the NAS 24/7 doing crap I didn't care about. Now it's back to ~46-52MB/s from the paltry 15-28MB/s I've been suffering with.

dan2507
Starting out

Post by dan2507 »

Finally the QNAP is useable again.
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

I have a TS-669L running firmware version 4.1.1 - I do not see that option in the File Station's settings page when logged in as Admin.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

TimRideout wrote:I have a TS-669L running firmware version 4.1.1 - I do not see that option in the File Station's settings page when logged in as Admin.
Of course not - it was introduced with a 4.1.2 build.

Return to “Features Wanted”