Turn off thumbnail generation in Filestation

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Re: Turn off thumbnail generation in Filestation

Post by ensignvorik »

There is the option in Filestation. It's mentioned a couple of times.

Or the old method is to kill the ffmpeg process and chmod it so it can't be executed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
j4c0b
New here

Post by j4c0b »

not on my 212p
so how can i disable that unwanted feature
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

j4c0b wrote:not on my 212p ... so how can i disable that unwanted feature
Posting the same question once would be enough ... at least it's not off topic here.

You must use the admin account - yet another administrator group member is not sufficient. Same when it comes to the File Station Remote Mount controls btw.
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

File Station option says "thumbnail display", does not say thumbnail generation (creation).
I would go for Control Panel -> System Settings -> General Settings -> System Administration -> Disable and hide the home/multimedia features [...].

-----
ensignvorik wrote:There is the option in Filestation
j4c0b
New here

Post by j4c0b »

schumaku, big thanks, i logged as a "admin" default account and in FS settings unchecked thumb option and it realy works, after deleted all .@__tumb no more new observered and FS get speed in usability:). i'm very happy.
raghubhaskar
New here

Post by raghubhaskar »

I've TS228 with QTS 4.3.2.0.128 / RAID 1

Disabling Media Library is the only thing that worked for me. Does anyone know what I would lose if this is disabled? I access my files over the cloud and remote play movies on my android TV.
peter247
Getting the hang of things

Post by peter247 »

if you disable the media library functions you will disable the video / picture and music stations + plus the dlna server etc .
If the android streaming is tried to the media library you will also loose that too.

So disabling the media library turn your box into a dumb samba server !!!! , so you may not be able to live with it generating thousands and thumbnail , but can`t switch it off without turning into a dumb box ...

Thanks QNAP
tw0sheds
First post

Post by tw0sheds »

I turned off the various inbuilt media servers and the thumbnail creation stopped immediately.
I had tried to pause the background tasks but that didn't actually seem to stop the process running as the hard drives were still being accessed constantly. It had been like that for several days and reported there were still several thousand files to go.
The NAS drive was unusable as a music server whilst the thumbnail creation was ongoing as it was maxing out the RAM.
I only bought the nas to use as a back up of my music drives and to then use that as a media server.
Minim works OK as does twonky (if you have a licence).
jimkarri
New here

Post by jimkarri »

find ~/Multimedia -name .@_thumb -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rdf

Should remove them...

Return to “Features Wanted”