TVS-1282T3 - Migrating System Disk

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
rkang
New here

TVS-1282T3 - Migrating System Disk

Postby rkang » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:48 am

Hey there,

I am a new QNAP user - !!! - most of the setup has been pretty smooth sailing... I'm utilizing the QNAP for post-production, working with 4K and multiple users.

I feel like I'm not the only one that has done this, but my main RAID 5 HDD media drives became the System Disk as a default, although they weren't the first Storage Pool I created. All of my media runs off these drives and I feel like I should be dedicating a different storage pool + volume solely for the QNAP system. I figure it's best to wait until my current project is finished so I can back my media up, and then set up the QNAP again, but I'm lost on how to set the System Disk properly and, if I'm configuring my QNAP to the best of its abilities. I considered that one of the SSD slots could be configured to run the System Disk -- I suspect though, it might have something to do with my RAID config??

The setup had to happen pretty quickly before a project began, so I understand that I'm under-utilizing the bays including the internal SSD slots -- I'd be really open to understanding more about how to efficiently use the NAS and have it run smoothly for multiple users at an optimal speed or performance.

Question is 2-prong:
1) How would I migrate the System Disk to run on a different pool/drive and be isolated from the main media HDD drives?
2) Is there a much more efficient way I could be utilizing the drive bays with post-production workflows in consideration?

See below my current setup:

QNAP TVS-1282T3
Storage Pool 1 - Projects Volume: 500 GB SSD [Single]
Storage Pool 2 - Media Volume: 4 x 6TB HDD [Raid 5]
Storage Pool 3 - Project Cache Volume: 2 x 250GB SSD [Raid 0]
QNAP Cache Storage set to 2nd SSD bay

Firmware: 4.3.3.0262
CPU: i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 32GB

Thank you!

dolbyman
Ask me anything

Re: TVS-1282T3 - Migrating System Disk

Postby dolbyman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:23 am

if the qnap is used for file sharing,the system volume is not used much... (unlinke running a database etc)

so will not aee any speed increase here

Don
Ask me anything

Postby Don » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:19 am

Storage pool 1 and 3 are disasters waiting to happen. With no redundant RAID you are in trouble if you lose a disk.
ADVICE - read the manual (online) and use the forum search feature (upper right hand corner) before posting.
Chances are very good you will find your answer.

It is a recommended to use RAID. It is also recommended to have external backups. RAID is designed to protect you from disk failure and keep your system running and data accessible while the disk is replaced and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from catastrophic system failure. One does not replace the other.

Bugs and feature requests need to be submitted to QNAP via their helpdesk.

Online Manuals
QNAP Helpdesk

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 4.3.3.0299
NAS: TVS-663 | F/W: 4.3.3.0299
N/W: Netgear NightHawk R7800 router | SMC gigabit switch

dolbyman
Ask me anything

Postby dolbyman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 pm

does the qnap allow caching on raid0 ?..I thought read/write caching HAS to be Raid1

rkang
New here

Postby rkang » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:26 am

The Project Volume is backed up every session to a different server, though I do realize I should probably still RAID that drive. As far as Storage Pool 3 - I'm not super fussed about losing cache data if something should happen with the drive. That is to say, that once this project is done, I can always reconfigure the RAID drives.

Dolbyman, correct - it has to be RAID for QNAP to cache, but this specific cache volume I created is for the cache data files coming from editing software.

So, no answers here on how I can migrate the system disk btw?

MrVideo
Experience counts

Postby MrVideo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 am

rkang wrote:So, no answers here on how I can migrate the system disk btw?

I believe the answer is no, not unless you start over and rebuild the NAS. Other longtime forum members can either verify this or post a correction.
QTS 4.1.n/4.2.n MANUAL
Submit QNAP Support Ticket - QNAP Tutorials, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki - Product Support Status - Moogle's QNAP FAQ help - When you ask a question, please include the following
(Thanks to Toxic17 for the links)
===============================
Model: TS-869L -- RAM: 3G -- FW: QTS 4.1.4 Build 20150522 (used for data storage)
WD60EFRX-68L0BN1(x1)/68MYMN1(x7) Red HDDs -- RAID6: 8x6TB -- Cold spare: 1x6TB
entware-ng
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 2G -- FW: QTS 4.2.3 Build 20170213 (used as a video server)
WL3000GSA6472(x3) White label NAS HDDs -- RAID5: 3x3TB
entware-ng -- MyKodi 17.3 (default is Kodi 16)
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos

storageman
Experience counts

Postby storageman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:08 am

So a volume on the HDDs has "(system)" against it? If so I'd leave it as it is so you have resilience.

Trexx
Experience counts

Postby Trexx » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 am

rkang wrote:. As far as Storage Pool 3 - I'm not super fussed about losing cache data if something should happen with the drive. That is to say, that once this project is done, I can always reconfigure the RAID drives.

Dolbyman, correct - it has to be RAID for QNAP to cache, but this specific cache volume I created is for the cache data files coming from editing software.

So, no answers here on how I can migrate the system disk btw?

I would be VERY nervous about pool 3 IF you are using Read/WRITE caching. Any SSD failure potentially could put up to 500GB of data blocks (corresponding to an unknown number of data files) at risk if the either of the SSD's were to fail prior to data being destaged to disk. And there is NO way to know which blocks/files would be affected. If you are using a 10GbE connection (or multiple) to bring the data in, you could saturate it quickly enough where you have a large portion that hasn't had time to destage to the slower spinning disks.

If you are just using it for READ caching, then you are fine.
Paul

Model: TVS-673 32GB FW: 4.3.3.0299 Build: 20170901
Disks: [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS SSD Cache: [RAID-1] 2 x 525GB Crucial MX300 m.2's
UPS: CyberPower AVR1350 Ext. Backup: USB 3.0 Seagate 5TB
Media Boxes: Nvidia ShieldTV Pro (4K), AppleTV 4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model: TS-453 Pro 16GB FW: 4.3.x (varies)

Father Mande's Kodi 17.4
Information needed when you ask for HELP
| QNAP Links, Tutorials, etc. |Moogle's QNAP Faq | Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ

dolbyman
Ask me anything

Postby dolbyman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:22 am

I think OP is using that caching drive as an external cache for a local program, not for the actual file system cache.

So depending on the program, no actual file data is saved on there. (e.g. NLE prerendered video effects and transitions that could be recreated from the source files if the cache collapses)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”