Combining two HDs for a single volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ovbg
Know my way around

Combining two HDs for a single volume

Post by ovbg »

Hi there, I have two HDs in my TS-219P II NAS and I want them to be seen as a single volume. I thought this was the case (I'm not terribly experienced in these matters) but it seems my backup has just filled up one HD and stopped, with the other HD being completely empty.

How can I merge the two HD's to be a single volume? Will I have to format them and start afresh?

Thanks
P3R
Guru

Re: Combining two HDs for a single volume

Post by P3R »

ovbg wrote:Hi there, I have two HDs in my TS-219P II NAS and I want them to be seen as a single volume.
You can do that but remember that as soon as either of the two disks fail all your data is lost and you will have to reinitialize the NAS from scratch.

On a 2-bay NAS like your's a RAID 1 (mirrored) disk configuration is strongly recommended for NAS reliability but that will only give you one disk worth of storage capacity.
How can I merge the two HD's to be a single volume? Will I have to format them and start afresh?
Yes. If the disks are of the same size choose RAID 0 or JBOD when configuring the disks. If disks aren't the same, choose JBOD.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ovbg
Know my way around

Re: Combining two HDs for a single volume

Post by ovbg »

Thanks P3R for the info

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”