Swap Memory is currently been used to free out space for physical memory

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
DARcode
Starting out

Swap Memory is currently been used to free out space for physical memory

Postby DARcode » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:43 am

Howdy,
after updating to 4.3.3.0299 build 20170901 the following keeps on popping up in the system event log:

Code: Select all

[Swap Memory] Swap Memory is currently been used to free out space for physical memory. When it is required to unplug disk(s) where Swap Partition(s) are located, please unplug them one by one.

Though I'm never asked to unplug any disks afterwards, anybody knows what's going on please?

Thank you.
QNAP TS-670 Pro Turbo NAS | QTS 4.3.3.0299 build 20170901
6 x WD Red 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s Hard Drive for NAS (model WD30EFRX) | Single 12TB RAID6 Ext4 Volume

DARcode
Starting out

Re: Swap Memory is currently been used to free out space for physical memory

Postby DARcode » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:10 am

Nobody :( ?
6 x WD Red 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s Hard Drive for NAS (model WD30EFRX) | Single 12TB RAID6 Ext4 Volume

P3R
Ask me anything

Postby P3R » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 am

Please contact Qnap support for assistance.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

New here

Postby 10101 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:19 pm

DARcode wrote:Howdy,
after updating to 4.3.3.0299 build 20170901 the following keeps on popping up in the system event log:

Code: Select all

[Swap Memory] Swap Memory is currently been used to free out space for physical memory. When it is required to unplug disk(s) where Swap Partition(s) are located, please unplug them one by one.

Though I'm never asked to unplug any disks afterwards, anybody knows what's going on please?

Thank you.

I have the same issue after 4.3.3.0299 update, support ticket has been submitted

AdrianW
Know my way around

Postby AdrianW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Just noticed the same thing in my log.
TS-853 Pro; TS-859 Pro; TS-409

QNAP_RippleW
Getting the hang of things

Postby QNAP_RippleW » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:04 am

Dear users
When opening the App Resource Monitor > System > Memory, you will see the SWAP memory is currently being used.

Swap memory (also called swap space) is located on an SSD, HDD or system volume. Swap space stores inactive processes when physical memory (RAM) is full. This helps to release physical memory for use with file caches and active processes.

By default, QTS reserves 512 MB on each HDD and 16 GB on the system volume for use as swap space. If a NAS contains two 2.5-inch SSDs, one M.2 SSD or one PCIe SSD, QTS creates an additional 8 GB of swap space on each SSD.

This log reminds you that when removing HDD or SSD that contain swap space, only pull out one drive at a time. DO NOT remove the second drive until you hear a "beep" from the NAS. This ensures that QTS can safely copy active swap space to another location.

Thanks
regards
Ripple

New here

Postby 10101 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:40 pm

QNAP_RippleW wrote:Dear users
When opening the App Resource Monitor > System > Memory, you will see the SWAP memory is currently being used.

Swap memory (also called swap space) is located on an SSD, HDD or system volume. Swap space stores inactive processes when physical memory (RAM) is full. This helps to release physical memory for use with file caches and active processes.

By default, QTS reserves 512 MB on each HDD and 16 GB on the system volume for use as swap space. If a NAS contains two 2.5-inch SSDs, one M.2 SSD or one PCIe SSD, QTS creates an additional 8 GB of swap space on each SSD.

This log reminds you that when removing HDD or SSD that contain swap space, only pull out one drive at a time. DO NOT remove the second drive until you hear a "beep" from the NAS. This ensures that QTS can safely copy active swap space to another location.

Thanks
regards
Ripple

there is two questions for me
1. My NAS usage is more or less the same but I never got this kind of log before 4.3.3.0299, is it a new log for the system?
2. I am wonder if the swap memory will be used even my RAM usage always around 30% only?

hooper303
Starting out

Postby hooper303 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 pm

If you have enough RAM. I have 16gb. Run Swapoff -a until qnap fixes this problem. I never go above 3-4 GB of use yet qnap insists on swapping. This didn't happen in 4.2. You can also adjust sappiness to a low value like 0. Qnap refuses to acknowledge the problem as usual.

DARcode
Starting out

Postby DARcode » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:42 am

hooper303 wrote:If you have enough RAM. I have 16gb. Run Swapoff -a until qnap fixes this problem. I never go above 3-4 GB of use yet qnap insists on swapping. This didn't happen in 4.2. You can also adjust sappiness to a low value like 0. Qnap refuses to acknowledge the problem as usual.

RAM usage my side never even reaches 40%, why swap in the first place?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”