Risk:Reward & Philosophical Opportunity Cost of RAID Choice

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Cleotus
New here

Re: Risk:Reward & Philosophical Opportunity Cost of RAID Choice

Post by Cleotus »

Thanks a bunch P3R ! If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'll get us a pint! (or 500ml) :wink: I lived in Freiburg for a short while and remember the beer well.

I appreciate the quick response. I can now confidently move ahead in setting up and transferring all the data over to my new x86 based NAS with RAID 6 using one thick volume + snapshots per Trexx. I wonder if it would be possible to connect my TS-231P directly to the TS-853A via ethernet (perhaps two ethernet cables) for a faster transfer? I can't think of a reason that wouldn't work. I'll have to read up on that today.

The thread I mentioned earlier regarding the WD Easystore is below. Re: dolbyman - I ran gsmartcontrol (smartmontools) on a windows machine and it does show the Easystore drives I have as WD Red (WD80EFAX) and ERC is set for 7 seconds. I wonder if they distribute these in Europe? It seems like they are always at a price considerably less than bare WD Red drives around here in California.

Reddit thread on WD easystore 8TB drives:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... ompendium/

One person's experience, from the Reddit thread:

"The WD80EMAZ comes in the NESN models too, that is where they first showed up. I bought 9 NESN and got 6 EFAX drives and 3 EMAZ drives. This is why I keep telling people that unless you get lucky and find or get an old stock NESN, you will get a EMAZ drive regardless of which model you have.

Also... they absolutely, for sure, have TLER. It's set to 7.0 seconds just like the EFAX drives are. I ran the tests on them after I got them to be sure.

So, the only difference between the EMAZ and EFAX drives are the color of the sticker and the 3.3V reset line. That's it. If you have a backplane or PSU that spits out 3.3V, then that's the only time you'll notice a difference in these drives. They run and perform exactly the same. Trust me, I've run the stress tests on all of my drives."
P3R
Guru

Re: Risk:Reward & Philosophical Opportunity Cost of RAID Choice

Post by P3R »

Cleotus wrote:I appreciate the quick response. I can now confidently move ahead in setting up and transferring all the data over to my new x86 based NAS with RAID 6 using one thick volume + snapshots per Trexx. I wonder if it would be possible to connect my TS-231P directly to the TS-853A via ethernet (perhaps two ethernet cables) for a faster transfer? I can't think of a reason that wouldn't work. I'll have to read up on that today.
Yes you could set up a separate network but I doubt you will gain anything but more work from it. The limitation will be the disks in the TS-231P, not the network.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”