RAID 6 – 1 disk failure and the whole system crashed and RAID had to be rebuilt – NAS entered Read Only

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
johk02
Starting out

RAID 6 – 1 disk failure and the whole system crashed and RAID had to be rebuilt – NAS entered Read Only

Post by johk02 »

Hi,
4 Bay NAS
4x 3TB drives
Storage Pool not used

We had the unfortunate event of one disk failure in out 4 Bay Qnap yesterday.
The disk had some bad sectors.
The other 3 disks are still good ie no bad sectors.

However, for some reason when disk failure occurred the NAS entered Read-only and it said it was Full.
I am unclear to why this happened as we only use about 3.77TB of storage and being a RAID 6 – the NAS hold still be able to operate with one disk less.

The NAS started to rebuild the RAID and it is now accessible again – eventhough one disk is still corrupt.

We are getting new disks this morning -> 4x 6TB.

As we don’t use Storage Pools how would I best go abut upgrading the RAID with the new disks? Can I Hot swap the drives – will started with corrupt disk and when the RAID is rebuilt we will hot swap the next drive etc?
When complete will RAID automatically expand over the new 4x 6TB and utilise the extra storage space?
Can the system still be used while the new larger disks are initialised?

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Johk
dolbyman
Guru

Re: RAID 6 – 1 disk failure and the whole system crashed and RAID had to be rebuilt – NAS entered Read Only

Post by dolbyman »

What NAS model is it ?

If it's a CAT2 then swapping the disks and expanding the volume is easy.

If it's a CAt1 then the GUI process needs to be followed (16TB volume limit should not come into play as 4x6TB in RAID6 is still under)
johk02
Starting out

Re: RAID 6 – 1 disk failure and the whole system crashed and RAID had to be rebuilt – NAS entered Read Only

Post by johk02 »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
The model is TS-453Pro

when you say "If it's a CAT2 then swapping the disks and expanding the volume is easy."
Does this mean you can just Hot Swap them OR do I still need to Go to Storage / Storage Management and then do Replace Disks one By One?

Is there a list where I can see what cat the different models belong too?
We have 2 other NAS'es as well
TS-419P and TS-453A

Thanks
Jonas
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

besides the 419p..the other ones are cat2

so you can swap the drives at leisure..and just expand the volume when all drives are swapped (go through the one by one dialogue and just hit expand on the bottom)
johk02
Starting out

Post by johk02 »

Thanks - I appreciate your time and input to this.

Cheers
JOHK

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”