Raid group unmounted after adding new disk and choosing to expand

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Feylong72
New here

Raid group unmounted after adding new disk and choosing to expand

Post by Feylong72 »

I'm really stumped on this one and tried my best to figure out what exactly is wrong here but not sure, so would greatly appreciate any help.

I had a 14TB + 8TB in a simple raid 1 with no snapshots and no storage pools using a static volume formatted with 8k blocks.
I added another 8TB (Same make as the previous) and went through the expand raid wizard.
Everything seemed to be working and I left it for a few hours.
When I logged back in using HTTP I started getting errors popping up and wizards asking me to create a new storage pool/volume!
I cancel all those and when I finally got to the storage options it shows the raid group as there but just says unmounted. I have tried the 'check' but after a minute or so nothing appears to have happened.
If I reboot and log in then there is a warning in the log just saying unable to mount.

If I SSH into the device and run md_checker I get this:-

RAID metadata found!
UUID: b1650eae:eaa82dcb:f06fa867:047d469b
Level: raid1
Devices: 1
Name: md1
Chunk Size: -
md Version: 1.0
Creation Time: May 5 18:29:51 2021
===============================================================================================
Enclosure | Port | Block Dev Name | # | Status | Last Update Time | Events | Array State
===============================================================================================
NAS_HOST 1 /dev/sdb3 0 Active May 7 19:35:59 2021 2 A

RAID metadata found!
UUID: 5fafc1ee:6ec1f4c3:bfd1d76d:6ed530d7
Name: md2
Creation Time: May 6 12:07:16 2021
Enclosure | Port | Block Dev Name | # | Status | Last Update Time | Events | Array State
NAS_HOST 2 /dev/sdc3 0 Active May 7 19:35:59 2021 2 A

RAID metadata found!
UUID: 3b4370dd:056a460d:c5e207a7:0cf14405
Name: md3
Creation Time: May 7 16:21:41 2021
NAS_HOST 3 /dev/sda3 0 Active May 7 19:35:59 2021 3 A

Any suggestions on what to try to get it mounted?
Last edited by Feylong72 on Sat May 08, 2021 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Raid group unmounted after adding new disk and choosing to expand

Post by dolbyman »

RAID0 is a dead end .. no drives can be added to it , so it's unclear what you did

did you just edit the raid0 to raid1 ?

so a raid1 needs to be changed to raid5 to add another drive .. is that what you tried to do ?
Feylong72
New here

Post by Feylong72 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:49 am RAID0 is a dead end .. no drives can be added to it , so it's unclear what you did

did you just edit the raid0 to raid1 ?

so a raid1 needs to be changed to raid5 to add another drive .. is that what you tried to do ?
yes sorry I double checked
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

still not sure what happened .. it looks like pooled single disks, but you said you have a static volume

what was the resulting volume size of your 8TB+14TB volume ?

On raid one it should have been around 7TB effective
Feylong72
New here

Post by Feylong72 »

It was around 19TB. I originally started with just the 14TB and when that got almost full I added the 1st 8TB and after I almost filled that up I decided to add a 3rd drive. I just chose the options when initializing the disks that I wanted a simple volume I could keep expanding. This isn't the 1st time I have done this with this qnap NAS.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

So if it was anything other than 7TB it was NOT RAID1

Spanning JBOD or RAID0 would have not offered any expansion .. so my bet is still on pooled single drives.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”