Encryption & Performance on QuTS (ZFS)?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Poochnas95
Starting out

Encryption & Performance on QuTS (ZFS)?

Post by Poochnas95 »

What do we know about the read/write performance with media (specifically for editing) from an encrypted vs non-encrypted share? In my case its a TVS-h1288x (ZFS). I do a lot of photo and video editing and every little performance hit can add up over time. Would i notice any difference in performance with this box? I'm thinking I'll have an unencrypted share for most media and an encrypted one for sensitive documents etc. But maybe i should stop thinking and encrypt everything! :o
8 x 16TB HDD, RAID-5.
System Volume is 4x 256 SSD in RAID 10
No M.2s yet.
P3R
Guru

Re: Encryption & Performance on QuTS (ZFS)?

Post by P3R »

Poochnas95 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:35 am But maybe i should stop thinking and encrypt everything!
I don't know the answer to your question but why on earth would you even consider subjecting yourself to the risk that it may affect performance?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Poochnas95
Starting out

Post by Poochnas95 »

so you're saying don't choose encryption unless it's truly important?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

YES!

Encryption is of course okay for the shared folder with sensitive documents but never on a shared folder where maximum performance is critical.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Poochnas95
Starting out

Post by Poochnas95 »

that was my feeling too. i guess i was wondering if this new system is fast enough to overcome noticeable lag, but i bet it won't!
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

are your clients insisting on encryption, for the video editing that you are doing ? I do tons of editors in LA on major shows, and none of them are using encrypted video.
Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Poochnas95
Starting out

Post by Poochnas95 »

they are not. So i will keep the encryption discreet. thank you!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”