NEED YOUR HELP FOR HDD TO SSD+HDD MIGRATION

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
clearscreen
New here

NEED YOUR HELP FOR HDD TO SSD+HDD MIGRATION

Post by clearscreen »

Greetings,

i've not found the scenario i intend to do, so i'm creating a new topic. Please excuse me if it's redundant.

I own a TS-431XeU with 8GO ram and 2 WD 10 TB RED in RAID 1 (thick volume) in bays 3+4. I've LACP network aggregation.

All work fine (speed is 100Mbps+) except that the system is pretty hot and fans noisy (shoud consider to replace them with noctua if the fan is not lock detection like synology)

So (i've posted topics about SSD discussion so i'll just take following hypothesis)

The initial situation is :
BAY 1+2 : 2x 10TB WD RED with volume1 (system, 1TB) and volume2 (homes;6TB)
I would like this final situation :
BAY 1+2 : 2x 4TB SG IRON WOLF with volume 1 (system, 1TB, free space remaining)
BAY 3+4 : 2x 8TB SAMSUNG 870 QVO volume 2(homes)

Although the support is very nice it only propose full installation from scratch, and i expected raid 1 mechanism to rebuild disks.

Could you help me with the following scenario by telling me if it's ok and give me advices if i'm wrong ?

1) Insert 2 x samsung SSD in bay 3+4 and migrate volume2 : source disk are HDD 10TB > 8TB but volume is smaller than raw SSD size
if it's ok, how can i do migration ?

2) Only Volume1 (1TB) will remain on 10TB HDD disk. Disconnect a 10TB HDD disk (hot swap or i would prefer to set it offline) and replace by iron wolf SSD 4TB (raw size would be <10TB but volume size is < new disk size)

3) after rebuild, replace the 2nd WD HDD 10 TB RED disk by the second 4TB IRON WOLF SSD disk.

I really thank you for any help and advices you can provide me.
I was really disappointed by the support answer, because on linux i was able to play well with mdadm. I understand that NAS stability and reliability add some constraints, but i was really thinking that it would be possible to do the scenario i've proposed in RAID 1 (FS rebuilding on SSD by swapping from HDD and of course smart rebuilding partition on smaller disk size if partition size allow that).

Best regards,
CLS.
A80 RC MKII Master Recorder fan
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NEED YOUR HELP FOR HDD TO SSD+HDD MIGRATION

Post by dolbyman »

why are 3 threads opened for the same topic?

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=161859
clearscreen
New here

Re: NEED YOUR HELP FOR HDD TO SSD+HDD MIGRATION

Post by clearscreen »

Greetings dolbyman
I've open 3 thread to respect subjects on forum section (i was afraid to be unclear if i mixed all. Do you think it was not suitable ? If so i'm sorry).

The one you answered was just about samsung ssd qvo 870 raid endurance and capability (there is another to discuss ssd ironwolf 110 in seagate section)

In this one i take the hypothesis i took 4 ssd (2x 870 qvo as secondary and 2 ironwolf 110 ) to make a detailed description of migration scenario of my 2x 10TB WD RED, because i really worry about it (trick about replication and size)

What do you think about the scenario ?
Best regards.
Cls
A80 RC MKII Master Recorder fan

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”