No GUI or SSH access, think it's stuck after starting migration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
zippyaa
First post

No GUI or SSH access, think it's stuck after starting migration

Post by zippyaa »

I have a TS-1263U that's not letting me access anything at all.

RAID 6 accross 7 x 4TB drives. Less than 1 TB free, so I added an 8th drive.
I went to MANAGE and ADD DISK. I see now that I should've done the EXPAND option just above the MANAGE button, but I did not.
I followed the steps, it said this may take a few minutes and eventually took me to a screen where I could see the progress. I expected this to take several days, a week maybe. Possibly a little longer. But it showed MIGRATING and a data rate of less than 10KB/sec, with an estimated time of 500,000+ hours. I forget the number of hours it said, but I remember I calculated it to be over 24 years. After about 1 or 2 hours, I realized I could not access ANYTHING. Web GUI, SSH, network shares, nothing. When I browse to the IP, it does give me the login screen, but never successfully logs in, just looks like it's trying forever. Same with SSH, it prompts for creds, then it gives me nothing back, no # prompt or anything. Trying to go to the \\<IP> just errors out from Windows. I just tried FTP, same behavior, it asks for creds then times out.

Status light on unit alternates red/green which web says can indicate an ongoing rebuild. The lights on the drives are not blinking like crazy as I would have expected to see. Rather, they're all steady green and occasionally they all blink a little.

I had a second array on the unit, but never used it and I know those drives aren't in great shape anymore (been getting SMART error messages), so for kicks, I pulled one of them out. The unit beeped at me and I did even get an email notification from the NAS saying the drive was pulled. So we know it's not completely locked up.

I opened a ticket, but the eventual message I got was "send us the logs" which of course I can't access. Then they suggested a screen share session, which is fine, but it can't happen until after the weekend, and I do need access to the data now and over the weekend. Yes, MOST of the data is backed up, but not all, and I don't want to lose it. Since I can't access anything, my hope is that QNAP support has an alternate access method I don't know about, but otherwise, I think it'll need to be powered off and back on, which of course I believe may cause an issue with my data.

I realize there is a possibility, a good one, that it's actually doing something, but if it is, I think it's at that snail pace it said before, which means it's basically a brick for the next 25 years which is useless. I don't know whether to just wait for 4-5 days until they can screen share with me, or if I should try something else. I can try power cycling it. I also found and installed QNAP Qfinder Pro. It finds the NAS and gives me the yellow alert status, which is expected. I tried details and other options from within that, but no luck. It does have a reboot option in there that I have not yet tried. I don't know how it transmits that signal, but suspect SSH which means it won't work.

So I'm stuck, what to do? I feel like patience here is not going to do any good since best case scenario is it's working perfectly and will take about a week, but my data isn't accessible right now and last thing it said was it was going to take forever, so I don't think it's doing what I need. Also wondering, if I did make a mistake by choosing "ADD DISK" instead of expand, what exactly is it that I did and how is that different from what I intended? Oh, and it's on the newest firmware. I updated that and rebooted before starting this process.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”