Adding another drive

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ozstar
Easy as a breeze

Adding another drive

Post by ozstar »

HI,

I have a 451A and have one 2TB drive in it that got ransomed.

I now have a added another 2TB drive and wish to move the files that were not effected to trhe new drive and then use it as my main drive.

I see the drive undet Storage and Snaps as Dribe 1 and 2 but with one DatVol1 which has all the files on it.

How do I 'activate' if that is the word so the new drive can be accessed through Shatred folders.

Thanks

oz
QNAP TS-231P 2 x 4TB Group 1 RAID 1
QNAP TS-451A 3 x 2 TB Group 1 RAID 5
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Adding another drive

Post by Mousetick »

What do you intend to do with the first drive, the one that was ransomed? Do you wish to remove it and then only use the second drive, the new one, in the NAS?
I have to ask because the procedure can be straightforward or much more complicated depending on your answers.
ozstar
Easy as a breeze

Post by ozstar »

Thank you for the help.

My thoughts were to create similar named folders on the new drive then move the files that are clear to thos enew foldesr.

When clear then I will delete are format that drive.

Hope that helps :-)
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

So you want to keep the clear files but don't care about the encrypted files and just want to get rid of them, right? You were a victim of QLocker, correct?
Any particular reason why you can't just delete the encrypted files on the ransomware drive and keep everything else as-is?
ozstar
Easy as a breeze

Post by ozstar »

Yes and Yes and no reason I guess but I also needed space for more files
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Have you taken all appropriate measures to ensure the NAS and your data are protected against attacks in the future?

So if I understood correctly the end result should be 2 x 2TB drives in the NAS: the ransomed one and the new one. You'll have one separate volume on each drive, for a total of 2 volumes.

Procedure without reformatting the ransomed drive, while logged in as 'admin' user:
(simplified version of the procedure described in user manual: https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 69AEE.html)
1. Insert new drive into NAS if not already.
2. Go to Storage & Snapshots > Storage > Storage/Snapshots.
3. Create > New Volume.
4. Select Static Volume, click Next.
5. Select Disk 2 (new drive), click Next.
6. Configure options as desired, or leave all defaults, click Next.
7. Review summary and click Finish.

If you kept the default options above, the new volume should be named 'DataVol2'. Now go to Control Panel > Privilege > Shared Folders > Shared Folder and create as many shared folders as desired on 'DataVol2' (or whatever name was given to the new volume at step #6 above). Refer to the user manual for more details (https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 27215.html) or to your existing shared folders on the ransomed volume as examples.

Now you can put some files and folders that were on the ransomed volume onto the new volume if you wish. Unless you have an external backup of those, you must not move them: instead you must copy them. Once they are all successfully copied to the new volume, you can remove them from the ransomed volume.

You can delete the ransomed files whenever you like.

Feel free to ask if something isn't clear.
ozstar
Easy as a breeze

Post by ozstar »

Thank you for taking the time to explain.
I have just got back here and will have time to ingest it tomorrow.
Really appreciate it.

oz

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”