Clone bootable disk

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
vlotarev
Starting out

Clone bootable disk

Post by vlotarev »

Dear guru,

I have home NAS TS-469L with two disks installed, no raid, each disk is made as a separate static volume. After several years of working first bootable disk got some bad sectors and became read-only so I decided to replace it. I've purchased new disk (of larger capacity). Is it possible just to clone and replace the first (bad) disk in order to preserver all my configuration and data in order not to repeat all that boring process of firmware installation, configuration, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Vadim
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Clone bootable disk

Post by dolbyman »

you would clone the bad sectors too ..so no use ...the joys of not running a raid

if you pull the defective drive, the system should still run (the system is on all inserted drives) ..you will just have to restore the system volume and it's data
vlotarev
Starting out

Post by vlotarev »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:00 pm ..you will just have to restore the system volume and it's data
Could you please tell me what is the procedure to restore system volume?

BTW I cloned disk with dd (conv=noerror,sync) - disk seems to be OK and even system started ... But this volume is not marked as a system one - is it possible to mark it as a system? I think this would solve my problem. On the screenshot there are two volumes with the name DataVol1, is it possible to make the second one System (and remove the first one)?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

just insert a blank disk and restore the data from backups

you can create the system volume on the new disk

(always attach screenshots to the forum)
vlotarev
Starting out

Post by vlotarev »

Sorry for being dumb but could you please explain in detail what should I do in order to preserve data on the second disk. I have two disks, first one (with system volume) is corrupted. Second one is good and I want to preserve it (including all it's data). Should I make backup, and just replace first disk with the new clear one, make system volume and restore configuration from backup? Will the volume on the second be preserved in this case?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

just replace the corrupted disk with a new one and create a system volume.

config and system is mirrored on all drives.
vlotarev
Starting out

Post by vlotarev »

The last question please - how to create system volume? I replaced disk, created volume but it does not became a system one ... Is it possible to specify that some volume must be system?
Screenshot_11.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

see if you can remove the datavol1..then there should be an option to assign a new system volume

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”