I pray there is hope!!!!

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Stupid38
New here

I pray there is hope!!!!

Post by Stupid38 »

If this is in the wrong place please move or let me know.

I'm in a bad position, and really need help!!! not a tech guy but up to now got through...

I have a 4 bay NAS with 2x 3tb drives set to work together so 6tb, and then the other two drives mirror those 2. So 6tb of storage but 12tb actually in the drive It was done this way to give me Max protection... (That's failed thanks to me.)
I also have a 2 bay NAS with 2x 4tb drives., however I started to get a smart error, on 1 disk in the 4 bay Nas, so I bought two larger drives for the 2 bay and used 1 of those drives to replace the failing one in the 4 bay drive.
I swapped the 2 bay drives, removed 1 drive slipped in the new drive and away it went and rebuilt. then swapped out the 2nd drive and all was good with the world.

So I though I know I can use one of the 4tb drives to replace drive 3 which was showing s.m.a.r.t. errors.
Removed drive 3 slipped in one 4tb drive, and I thought all would be fine again and it would copy over and rebuild the 4tb drive like the other 3 drives were.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I didn't have it at the time.
Today I try and access all my shares, which literally contain our life, pics, docs, music medical records etc etc. and find I cant access it.

I start Qnap Finder and wonder why both drives are now called the same thing????????

Login on line and find that the 2 bay drive appears to have overwritten the 4 bay information, even though it was a single disk and in bay 3.
Now all I have is a single 3tb disk that was showing smart errors but still worked from the 4 bay drive.

I reset the Nas but it was called the same thing, then I removed the drives and reset it. Now Qnap Finder cannot even see the unit

Is there any way to get that 1 drive to rebuild my 4 bay NAS even if it is at 1 bay at a time?????

Time I have, Data I don't. I would have thought that the 3 drives in the 4 bay would have overwritten the 1 drive added from the 2 bay.

Is their any hope and how do I do it if there is? I'm hoping their is some way to recover this mess I find myself in!!!

Thanks in advance.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: I pray there is hope!!!!

Post by dolbyman »

Did you clear the drives from the 2 bay NAS before you inserted them into the 4bay ? .. The drives contain the operating system and plenty of other stuff. So swapping them around without clearing them first is a bad idea.

Contact QNAP asap so they can see what is going on.

Also if you are using RAID10 (sounds like it from the description), the rebuild of a member disk is a touchy thing as an error on the mirror disk will mean failure of the hole array (that's why RAID6 with distributed dual parity is safer on rebuild)

Anyways .. if you ever get your data back .. start making backups .. a RAID is never a backup as you have now discovered.
Stupid38
New here

Post by Stupid38 »

Dolbyman,
Thanks for the reply.
So what would you recommend to back up 6TB of data for those that find out the hard way, so as to not make the same mistake again.

Alas I did not clear the drive.

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

An 8TB USB drive would be a nice external USB backup solution

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”