RAID 1 - replace 1 disk with larger capacity

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
d82k
Starting out

RAID 1 - replace 1 disk with larger capacity

Post by d82k »

Dear all,

I have QNAP TS-210 with 2 WD Rad 3TB in RAID 1.
I have received the following error: "[Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 1 2] RAID device in degraded mode"

One of the two HDD, apparently failed and looks disconnected. I restarted and everything looked fine until the next restart.

As I understood I can turn off the NAS, replace the faulty disk with one of the same size, turn it on and it should rebuild the RAID 1 automatically.

Can I replace the faulty disk with a bigger one? e.g. 4 TB and have still the size of the storage 3TB? Reason 4TB cost the same and are in stock.

Kind regards,
dk
dolbyman
Guru

Re: RAID 1 - replace 1 disk with larger capacity

Post by dolbyman »

ALWAYS replace drives HOT (while the device is running) .. do not shut it down (I see you NAS is one of those few unfortunate ones without swappable bays .. just be careful when you do it

If you want to expand capacity you have to go through the process described in the manual (replace one by one)
d82k
Starting out

Post by d82k »

Ok so need to replace the drive while on...

I don't want to expand the capacity, I'm good with keeping my volume 3TB RAID 1.
Just would like to know if replacing the faulty 3TB disk using a 4TB disk will work restoring the volume 3TB. Do you know if it will work?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

sure .. the new drive needs to be same or larger size and the rebuild will start after the swap
d82k
Starting out

Post by d82k »

Ok clear thank you for the answer!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”