SSD Volume in QNAP (500GB ends up being 280)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
VincenzoKoestler
Starting out

SSD Volume in QNAP (500GB ends up being 280)

Post by VincenzoKoestler »

Hey everyone, I am really confused here...I just bought a M2 SSD to use as Cache and to speed up QuDedup . Size is 480GB. I created a Storage Pool (otherwise I apparently cannot migrate HBS3) which reduced the available size to 390GB (which I guess is normal...disk as around 450Gb usable and 50GB are additional over-provisioning) but then I wanted to create a volume inside the storage pool obviously (thick volume with pre-allocated storage) but the maximum I can set is 290GB?? How can I lose 200GB along the process that seems way too much. Can I migrate apps to a static volume too? What should I do that is insane...

edit: added information regarding provisioning
Last edited by VincenzoKoestler on Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: SSD Volume in QNAP (500GB ends up being 280)

Post by dolbyman »

Did you setup any overprovisioning ? .. that would limit the usable size
VincenzoKoestler
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:53 am Did you setup any overprovisioning ? .. that would limit the usable size
sorry I did not expect such a quick reply, I just edited the information in the main post, yes so the first drop is kinda fine, the actual usable size is 450GB (as Corsair does some provisioning already) but I added another 10% which would be 48GB, I dont know where I lost the extra 12GB but I can live with that. But why the heck do I loose another 100GB when creating a volume?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Can you post a screenshot of your pool management ?
VincenzoKoestler
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:59 am Can you post a screenshot of your pool management ?
definitely, apologies!
They are in German though...

edit: 323 not 331GB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Always make sure you switch your system UI to English (is done in seconds) .. luckily I can read German

Try to remove the current volume and redo it
VincenzoKoestler
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:12 am Always make sure you switch your system UI to English (is done in seconds) .. luckily I can read German
really? I will check that, I expected it would take a while :s

I did already like 3 times...always coming out with this 100GB loss..
Can apps also be migrated to a static volume?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Changing the language takes 2 seconds (3 vertical dots top right on the QTS GUI)

Apps can be reinstalled .. not sure if your can move them around (some apps you can via app center)

All my NAS have one Pool with mostly one Volume .. I keep it simple (and with RAID1+ also failure tolerant)
VincenzoKoestler
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 am Changing the language takes 2 seconds (3 vertical dots top right on the QTS GUI)

Apps can be reinstalled .. not sure if your can move them around (some apps you can via app center)

All my NAS have one Pool with mostly one Volume .. I keep it simple (and with RAID1+ also failure tolerant)
I was planning that too, only one volume, RAID5 though, I do dailyAzure Backups anyway...
But the daily backups are actually the issue, as Azure costs per transfer not really per data stored, I wanted to reduce transfer size with QuDedup, but QNAP kept telling me to migrate the App on SSD (in fact QuDedup on my Raid5 was only working with 5MB/s thats insane so yeah...just wanted to get a SSD to speed that up
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Probably a reset of the whole NAS with the usage case in mind would be best

I don't see a mention of the NAS model, but I would setup 2 SSD's for the System in RAID1, then add the bulk storage to however many bays you have/need as the secondary volume/pool

I have never used dedupe, so I don;t know how the performance and effectiveness of that would be
VincenzoKoestler
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:25 am Probably a reset of the whole NAS with the usage case in mind would be best

I don't see a mention of the NAS model, but I would setup 2 SSD's for the System in RAID1, then add the bulk storage to however many bays you have/need as the secondary volume/pool

I have never used dedupe, so I don;t know how the performance and effectiveness of that would be
yeah thats what I think now too, but currently I lack time and nerves to proceed with such a task...
Model is a 472XT, the SSDs are M2 NVMe. But yeah best would be probably to initialize the system with two of those as Raid 1 and use the HDDs as pure Storage
QuDedup basically reads the files that need to be backed-up, writes them inside of the HBS Location, deduplicates them and uploads them, that means not the classical -r and upload but rather -r -rw -r > then upload, on the HDDs that slows down the operation massively...

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”